Natasha Castillo: Feels Like Home

It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.
Anne Baxter
Happy Saturday, April 14th, 2016!
May 14 is the 135th day of the year. There are 231 days remaining until the end of the year.
What an entertainment filled weekend this is going to be. 
Last night, I was lucky enough to sit down with
Tom Toce (pictured left) on Talk of The Town and Facebook Live (Thanks to all of you who tuned in) and talk not only about his process as a songwriter but to also talk about his event this afternoon at American Popular Song Society. He will be celebrating LIVING songwriters from Yale (with one exception!), I will be there and would love to see you. Tonight, Nathasa Castillo returns to Don't Tell Mama with her latest outing, Feels Like Home.
with Dana Lorge
Natasaha is someone you should get to know if you don't know already. She is one of those people who hit the cabaret community like a thunderbolt a few years ago and quickly established herself as a wonderful force of nature. 
Today, I celebrate Natasha Castillo!
Music is the ultimate safe haven for me. When I am enveloped in music, I can weather any storms. It speaks to and for my heart. Since childhood I’ve always been one of those unusual kids who had a song for every mood and moment. 
As I’ve grown, the song tracks I’ve loved simply evolved in selection and number. Songs find their
way to me from shows, radios, classes and sometimes from a sidewalk musician. I have an eclectic taste in music genre but there is constant theme through it all. The words of all the songs I love relate to stories in my life. They feel like home to me in one way or another. In my show I plan to share some of my favorite soundtracks and stories! Maybe you will find some songs that “Feels Like Home” to you as well! 



with Matt Baker
What is your morning motivation?
My motivation each morning is opening my eyes and seeing a new day. Having lost many loved ones to death and having weathered many near death experiences myself (i.e. brain tumor, cancer) made me treasure simple things in life. The desire to cherish each and every moment and live a life of no regrets is what motivates me!

How do you approach social media marketing?

I believe that social media marketing is a good way to put the word out but you ultimately need to be out there and connect to people personally. We are social beings; virtual marketing is not the same as experiencing a person face to face, grass roots style.
I really don’t consider it to be marketing though. I enjoy meeting, getting to know people and connecting in person! I think that the personal touch beats any social media marketing!


What is one thing you would tell the world to make it a better
place?

Approach the world and everyone around you from a standpoint of love and acceptance. Strive for happiness! Take a moment, jot down a few things that constitutes happiness that makes you
smile.  If you find it missing in your life currently, make a list of steps that you can take to get to that place. I’ve been blogging about how to achieve a state of happiness. Check it out! http://natashacastillo.com/category/blog. A lot of it is common sense but sometimes we need reminders!

How do you measure success?


Success to me is measured by happiness. What makes me happy
is being able to look at myself in the mirror and honestly say to myself each day that I have lived and loved with no regrets. That is success to me!

What does Friday mean to you? (Obviously this question was posed on a Friday!)Friday is the end of the workweek but aside from that, to me, Friday is no different from any other day! A new day full of potential!

What are you doing to make the world a better place?
It starts with being honest and authentic; approaching everyone around me from the standpoint of love, acceptance and being open


to growth and changes. In addition to that, I strive to listen to
people around me and try my best to help those in need.

What talent do you wish you had?

Cabaret Family!
I wish I had the ability to make a difference in everyone whose paths I’ve come across. If I can bring about feelings of warmth and put
Me with Natasha
a smile on a person’s face when they are going through a
rough time, that would be amazing!

What makes you look so young at your age?
Living a healthy lifestyle and eating healthy (vegan). I work out every day and I don’t hold on to negativity. That is what keeps me young. I take a moment every day to count the blessings I have in my life and I approach each and every day as a chance for a new beginning, an opportunity to achieve my dreams. I believe that any miracle
With Steven Ray Watkins and Marco Brehm.
is possible if you believe and work hard enough
at it!

What important truth do very few people agree with you on?
I don’t believe in fate. I believe that we are responsible for our own destiny and anything and everything is possible if you can visualize it and you are willing to put all you’ve got into it!
Opening a new cabaret show is like skydiving! You jump out of the plane not knowing exactly where you will land BUT you know you will FLY!!
-Natasha Castillo

JoinNatasha in her brand new show, "Feels Like Home". They say that home is where the heart is, and this new show, with Musical Direction by Steven Ray Watkins and Direction by Lennie Watts proves just that. With a wide range of music, from Cyndi Lauper, to Jerry Herman, and The Muppets to The Spice Girls, you will feel right at home!
Natasha Castillo
"Feels Like Home"
Directed by Lennie Watts,
Musical Direction by Steven Ray Watkins
With Karen Mack  and Wendy Russell
Marco Brehm on bass

WHERE: Don't Tell Mama, 343 W 46th Street, between 8th  and  9th Avenues
WHEN:  Saturday, May 14th at 7 PM 
          AND 
          Friday, May 20th at 7 PM 

$20 Cover plus a 2 drink minimum
MAC Members: $15 Cover plus a 2 drink minimum
CASH ONLY

Saturday, May 14th@ 7 PM
http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/shows?task=view_event&event_id=2810

Friday, May 20th@ 7 PM
http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/shows?task=view_event&event_id=2811

or call 212-757-0788 for reservations

Hope to see you there!!



In other Entertainment News
Central Park's iconic eatery, Tavern on the Green, is partnering with cast members from five of
See Something Rotten on Broadway!
Broadway's biggest shows to debut "Broadway on the Green," an outdoor theatre series that will bring top-billed performances to Tavern's Courtyard overlooking Central Park. The 5-week initiative, in partnership with Speer Arts, will begin at dusk this Sunday, May 15th.  (Read MORE)


Thank you, to all of the artists mentioned in this blog for the gifts you have given to the world and continue to give!


With grateful XOXOXs ,
 





Check out my site celebrating the legacy of Dolly Gallagher Levi!
Happy Birthday, Patrice Munsel!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!   
        

American Popular Song Society Presents Annual Songwriter's Showcase Hosted by Award Winning Songwriter Tom Toce





Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com
 







Comments