Happy Birthday, Rhonda Fleming!

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another;
as I have loved you, that you also love one another"

Happy Birthday to Rhonda Fleming!
Famous Red Heads!
On Saturday, the world celebrated the 100th birthday of Lucille Ball.
I've even devoted two blogs to her over the past week. Turner Classic Movies is honoring Shirley MacLaine all day today as part of their SUMMER UNDER THE STARS series. Today is also the 88th birthday of another famous redhead, Rhonda Fleming. Life isn't always fair. Ms. Fleming, unfortunately, will not be given the same media attention as Lucy. But I would like to honor her today in my blog.

A native-born Californian, Rhonda Fleming attended Beverly Hills public and private schools. Her mother, Effie Graham, was a famous model and actress in New York. She has a son, Kent Lane, and , Kimberly and Kelly.

She has appeared in over 40 motion pictures, starting with top featured roles in David O. Selznick's SPELLBOUND, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, RKO's OUT OF THE PAST and THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE and leading into starring roles in classics such as CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT, GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL, HOME BEFORE DARK, PONY EXPRESS, SLIGHTLY SCARLETT, WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS and THE BIG CIRCUS.

Fleming began working as a film actor while attending Beverly Hills High School, from which shegraduated in 1941. After appearing uncredited in a several films, she received her first substantial role in the thriller Spellbound (1945), produced by David O. Selznick and directed by Alfred Hitchcock. She followed this with supporting roles in another thriller, The Spiral Staircase (1946), directed by Robert Siodmak, the Randolph Scott western Abilene Town (1946), and the film noir classic Out of the Past (1947) with Robert Mitchum.

Rhonda's first leading role came in Adventure Island (1947), a low-budget action film made in the two-color Cinecolor process and co-starring Rory Calhoun.

She then co-starred with Bing Crosby in her first Technicolor film,A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949), a musical loosely based on the story by Mark Twain.


Fleming exhibited her singing ability, dueting with Crosby on “Once and For Always” and soloing with “When Is Sometime.” She and Crosby recorded these songs for a 78 rpm Decca soundtrack album. She also sang on NBC's Colgate Comedy Hour during the same live telecast that featured Errol Flynn, on September 30, 1951, from the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood.

In 1953, Fleming portrayed Cleopatra in Serpent of the Nile. That same year she appeared in two films shot in 3-D, Inferno with Robert Ryan and the musical Those Redheads From Seattle with Gene Barry. The following year she starred with Fernando Lamas in Jivaro, her third 3-D release.


Among Fleming’s subsequent cinematic credits are Fritz Lang’s While the City Sleeps (1956), co-starring Dana Andrews; Allan Dwan’s Slightly Scarlet, co-starring John Payne and Arlene Dahl;
John Sturges’s Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) co-starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas and the Irwin Allen / Joseph M. Newman production of The Big Circus (1959), co-starring Victor Mature and Vincent Price. Her most recent film was Waiting for the Wind (1990).

During the 1950s and into the 1960s, Fleming frequently appeared on television with guest-starring roles on The Red Skelton Show, The Best of Broadway, The Investigators, Shower of Stars, The Dick Powell Show, Death Valley Days, Wagon Train, Burke's Law, The Virginian, McMillan & Wife, Police Woman, Kung Fu, Ellery Queen, and The Love Boat. On March 4, 1962, Fleming appeared in one of the last segments of ABC's Follow the Sun in a role opposite Gary Lockwood, who was nearly 14 years her junior. She played a Marine in the episode "Marine of the Month".

In 1958, Fleming again displayed her singing talent when she recorded her only LP, entitled simply Rhonda. In this album, she blended then current songs like "Around The World" with standards such as "Love Me Or Leave Me" and "I've Got You Under My Skin"

In retirement, Fleming has worked for several charities, especially in the field of cancer care, and has served on the committees of many related organizations. In 1991, she and her late husband, Ted Mann, set up the Rhonda Fleming Mann Clinic For Women's Comprehensive Care at the UCLA Medical Center.

Fleming has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rhonda Fleming has been married to Darol Wayne Carlson (2003–present)

She was also married to Ted Mann, producer, (March 11, 1978 - January 15, 2001) till his death, January 15, 2001

Hall Bartlett, producer, (March 27, 1966–1972) (divorced), he died September 7, 1993

I LOVE YOU, RHONDA!

Details of this blog are from Ms. Fleming's website and Wikipedia.

I would like to make it clear many of the elements composing this blog are not my own; I do not own any of the images posted on this blog. All other images, characters, trademarks (etc) are owned and copyright of their respective owner(s). Also, I did not create this blog with the intent to breach any copyright, nor do I imply that I own anything beyond my own opinions included within it. When known, I have done my best to provide proper attribution when possible. This blog is solely meant to amuse, interest, and assist,and as such is protected under laws concerning fair use.


"If I have offended one person, I have offended one person too many"
-Richard Skipper

Here's to an INCREDIBLE day for ALL!


Now, GO FOR A SWIM!

Become A Facebook friend of mine!
Follow me on Twitter
If you've seen one of my appearances/shows, add your thoughts to my guestbook at www.RichardSkipper.com



Tomorrow's blog will be YOU TELL ME! I'm open to suggestions!


Please contribute to the DR. CAROL CHANNING & HARRY KULLIJIAN FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS:
http://www.carolchanning.org/foundation.htm


And help us get Carol Channing the 2011 Kennedy Center Honor!
Contact me for details!
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED WEEK!
Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com



I would like to make it clear many of the elements composing this blog are not my own; I do not own any of the images posted on this blog. All other images, characters, trademarks (etc) are owned and copyright of their respective owner(s). Also, I did not create this blog with the intent to breach any copyright, nor do I imply that I own anything beyond my own opinions included within it. When known, I have done my best to provide proper attribution when possible. This blog is solely meant to amuse, interest, and assist,and as such is protected under laws concerning fair use.


"If I have offended one person, I have offended one person too many"
-Richard Skipper

Here's to an INCREDIBLE day for ALL!


Become A Facebook friend of mine!
Follow me on Twitter
If you've seen one of my appearances/shows, add your thoughts to my guestbook at www.RichardSkipper.com



Tomorrow's blog will about another favorite redhead of mine, Arlene Dahl!


Please contribute to the DR. CAROL CHANNING & HARRY KULLIJIAN FOUNDATION FOR THE ARTS:
http://www.carolchanning.org/foundation.htm


And help us get Carol Channing the 2011 Kennedy Center Honor!
Contact me for details!
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED WEEK!
Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com































Comments