We're In This Together: Part Three In A New Series...Today, Let's Celebrate Michael Musto!

“Fear grows in darkness; if you think there's a bogeyman around, turn on the light.”

― DOROTHY THOMPSON

Happy Friday, March 27th, 2020!

It is National Exchange Club Day. This day is celebrated today, on the anniversary of the founding of the first local Exchange Club, in Detroit, Michigan, in 1911. The second club was formed two years later in Toledo, Ohio. Two more clubs were formed—in Grand Rapids and Cleveland—and the National Exchange Club was then organized in 1917. It was formed by businessmen who wanted to exchange ideas and information on how to help and serve their communities. Women were not originally permitted, but were allowed starting in 1985.

March 27 is the 85th day of the year . 281 days remain until the end of the year.

• 221 Days till Election Day! November 3rd! VOTE!!!!!!! (God willing)
• 17th Day of #PhysicalDistancing
Kenny Loggins’ Footloose hit the charts on this day in 1984
• British actor/singer Joseph E. Coyne born (1867)
Kenny Loggin
Bob Fosse's Dancin' opened on Broadway (1978)
• William Finn's March of the Falsettoes opened Off-Broadway (1981)
• Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up? opened on Broadway (1982)
Rodgers and Hammerstein's State Fair opened on Broadway (1996)
• Urban Cowboy opened on Broadway (2003)

• Revival of Jacques Brel Is Alive opened Off-Broadway (2006)
Gypsy revived (4th time) on Broadway starring Patti Lupone (2008)
• How to Succeed revived (3rd time) on Broadway (2011)
Today, I celebrate everyone's art. Today's social media engagement: Comment on something mentioned in this blog and let's keep the next 24 hours upbeat! Have something to promote? Email me at Richard@RichardSkipper.com 


Celebrate the gifts you have to offer the world! Did you do your Morning Pages? Have no clue what I am referring to? Today, celebrate your crazy ideas and surround yourself with those who will support those ideas! Make it a great weekend!
Recommended Reading
Fosse
By Sam Wasson

Now, Go to the 9th person in your friend’s list and do something for them without expecting anything in return and let me know what happens! Michael Musto!  Today I celebrate YOU! I am reaching out to say Hello, How are you, and I’m just a phone call away. Thanks for all you do to keep us entertained!

Richard Skipper Celebrates Michael Musto
Photo credit: Andrew Werner.

Michael Musto writes the weekly "Musto Unfiltered" column for NewNowNext.com. He is also known as a TV commentator and author and as the longtime "La Dolce Musto" columnist for the late, lamented Village Voice.

What are you looking forward to most about this Coronavirus being behind us?
A return to some form of normalcy, which involves in-person culture, socializing, and simply experiencing life. I didn't fully appreciate the fabulousness of my life before, but I will kiss the ground with gratitude if it all comes back.
Photo credit: Andrew Werner.


Name one thing you’ve learned about yourself during this time?
I've been reminded that, having grown up as a lonely only child, I can appreciate down time and entertain myself, though I've also been reaching out to friends and spending time on the phone and other ways to connect because none of us can get through this solo. Also, when a homeless man recently asked me for money and I actually gave it to him, I realized that perhaps I'm finally tapping a bit into my human side. I guess I've become Ebenezer Musto.
with Carol Channing


What song(s) are you currently listening to during this time?
My comfort music always consists of Diana Ross, Luther Vandross, Brian and Brenda Russell, CeCe Peniston, and even some white people

Do you believe our spirit lives on after we pass on?
No way. This is it, folks. Sorry, your soul doesn't fly off into space and land on some cloud as angels play a harp.
Michael and Bianca Del Rio at the Glam Awards
But if you want to believe that, go ahead.


What do you wish to be remembered for?
Having done things the hard way (like Bette Davis), having ignored the odds and made it as an openly gay writer who went after the big guns and celebrated the fringe characters, having made NYC, nightlife,
Michael and Dorothy Bishop
queers, and theater sound fascinating (which they are). When people tell me they came out, moved to New York, or saw a show because of me, I'm beyond tickled.


What did you think of when you Coronavirus began, and your thoughts today?
I thought it was scary but a tad inconvenient, and now I just think it's scary. I applaud all the efforts to
Michael, Robin Byrd, and John Wayne Bobbitt at the Tunnel club
contain it and I'm with all my creative brothers and sisters as we weather this while finding ways to express ourselves.


What do you like least?
The loss of life and the illnesses, naturally. It's hit every walk of life, practically all over the globe. 
Losing Nashom Wooden (drag star Mona Foot) and playwright extraordinaire Terrence McNally in a two day period was very rough.

Have you maintained your sense of humor through all this?
Yes, I have kept my humor intact. It has always been a shelter for me, a way to deflect dark happenings, and I would be lost without it.

Thank you, Michael Musto!, for the gifts you have given to the world and will continue to give.
Michael, Raven Oh and Joey Arias at the Glam Awards
Now, everyone, please go and and do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return! Go to the 9th friend in your friend's list and call them! We're ALL in this together! Till tomorrow...


Comments