Alice Cooper, Rosa Parks, Charles Lindbergh...and MORE!

Drinking bear is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's rebellion.
-Alice Cooper


 Happy February 4th!

February 4 is the 35th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 331 days remaining until the end of the year.
My horoscope tells me: You might think that nearly anything is possible now because you aren't likely to acknowledge your limitations. You're stepping into exciting territory where your positive attitude could transform an impossible goal into one that can be accomplished.  Nevertheless, there's no point in trying to demonstrate your superiority. State your intentions and work toward your dreams, but give yourself plenty of time to turn your hopes into
Alice Cooper.
reality.
This is for all of my fellow Aquarians, especially those that are mentioned in this blog. Let's make it true for all of us, especially that last sentence.  
That works for me!

Perpetual optimists claim that their cheery dispositions bring them better health. It turns out that theory is not all in their heads: There is real scientific evidence to support a positive attitude protecting your mind and body, says Fred Bryant, professor of psychology at Loyola University in Chicago — and everyone can benefit from the glass-half-full thinking.
Read MORE

It is World Cancer Day. Katie Couric writes, "All of us know someone who has been affected by cancer. In 1997, I had a great career, a wonderful husband and two beautiful young daughters, who were 5 and 1. In an instant, everything changed. That’s what cancer does, it changes everything in an instant." Read more HERE.
Kevin Dozier, Laurie Krauz, Lori Tan Chinn, my husband Daniel Sherman, Bobbie Horowitz, Melodie Wolford, Maria Ottavia helping me celebrate my birthday at Sardi's two years ago. I am fortunate in the friends I have!
Today also marks Facebook’s 12th birthday. Each year they recognize this day as Friends Day and invite the world to celebrate and reflect on the importance of connecting.

Alice Cooper (born Vincent Damon Furnier) was born on this date. He is a singer, songwriter, musician and occasional actor whose career spans five decades. With a stage show that features guillotines, electric chairs, fake blood, boa constrictors, baby dolls, and dueling swords, Cooper is considered by music journalists and peers alike to be "The Godfather of Shock Rock"; he has drawn equally from horror movies, vaudeville, and garage rock to pioneer a macabre, theatrical brand of rock designed to shock people. Shock rock is an umbrella term for artists who combine rock music or metal with highly theatrical live performances emphasizing shock value.Cooper is also known for his distinctive raspy voice.
I met Alice Cooper years ago. I wish I could locate the photo. I was working at Madison Scare Garden as part of their Halloween show.
 I played a demented clown and when he came through, I jumped out and scared him so much that he flew back on his backside.
THAT is one of my proudest achievements! Right now, the world is topsy turveyand is scarier than ANYTHING you would find in a haunted house. In political news, Rick Santorum drops out, endorses Marco Rubio!
Today is also the birthday of Rosa Parks. I cannot even imagine what it would have been like to walk in her shoes. Today, I celebrate her.
She is still very much in the news. CLICK HERE.

Rosa Louise McCauley Parks was born on February 4, 1913 in Tuskegee, Ala., and became an iconic symbol of the Civil Rights Movement in the 50s after she refused to give up her bus seat in Montgomery, Ala., to a white man, spurring the Montgomery boycott and other efforts to end segregation.
Charles Augustus Lindbergh was also born on this date, nicknamed Slim, Lucky Lindy, and The Lone Eagle, was an American aviator, author, inventor, military officer, explorer, and social activist.
His son, the most famous baby in the world, Charles A. Lindbergh Jr., was kidnaped from his
crib on the first floor of the Lone Eagle’s home at Hopewell, N.J., between 7:30 and 10:30 o’clock on March 1st, 1932. Click HERE to see a video on Charles Lindberg.

In 1927, at the age of 25, Lindbergh emerged from the virtual obscurity of a U.S. Air Mail pilot to instantaneous world fame as the result of his Orteig Prize-winning solo nonstop flight from Roosevelt Field on New York's Long Island to Le Bourget Field in Paris, France. He flew the distance of nearly 3,600 statute miles (5,800 km) in a single-seat, single-engine, purpose-built Ryan monoplane, Spirit of St. Louis. As a result of this flight, he was the first person in history to be in New York one day and Paris the next.
The record-setting flight took 33 12 hours. Lindbergh, a U.S. Army Air Corps Reserve officer, was also awarded the nation's highest military decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his historic exploit.
Today is also the birthday of one of my favorites, Ida Lupino. She was a film actress, singer, director and producer, a pioneer among women filmmakers. In her forty-eight-year career, Ms. Lupino appeared in fifty-nine films and directed seven others, mostly in the United States, where she became a citizen in 1948.
She co-wrote and co-produced some of her own films as well. She appeared in serial television programmes fifty-eight times and directed fifty other episodes. Additionally, she contributed as a writer to five films and four TV episodes. In my search on Lupino today, I found this great article!  Love Stories is a series about love in all its forms, with one new essay appearing each day for the first two weeks of February, until Valentine’s Day. The writer, Lynn Yaeger, and I share a love for TCM, Turner Classic Movies. Read more HERE. Lynn Yaeger is a native New Yorker and a contributing editor at Vogue and Vogue.com. When she is not writing about fashion, she can be found haunting flea markets all over the world. Order Ida Lupino's biography HERE.

Betty Friedan
On February 4, 2006, Betty Friedan died, on her 85th birthday.  She helped begin a new interest in women's rights, debunking the myth that all middle-class women were happy in the homemaker role. In 1966, Betty Friedan was one of the key founders of the National Organization for Women (NOW), which aimed to bring women "into the mainstream of American society now [in] fully equal partnership with men".
 A leading figure in the women's movement in the United States, her 1963 book The Feminine Mystique is often credited with sparking the second wave of American feminism in the 20th century.

Jerry Adler was born on this date. He was a  theatre director, production supervisor and a television
Take Jerry home with you!
and film actor.
He has guest-starred on Brooklyn Bridge, True Colors, Quantum Leap, Chicago Hope, Law and Order, and Spin City, in addition to his roles as a series regular in Mad About You, Hudson Street, and Alright Already. Adler most recently appeared as part of the ensemble centered around an anxiety-ridden mob underboss in HBO's hit, the dark comedy series The Sopranos.

Today is also the birthday of David Brenner. David Norris Brenner was a stand-up comedian, actor and author. The most frequent guest on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the 1970s and 1980s, Brenner "was a pioneer of observational comedy. Years ago, he had a short lived late night TV show. I went to the taping of his show. His guest was Cosmopolitan's Helen Gurley Brown.  



Today, I would also like to showcase and celebrate my friend, Shawn Ryan!

MAC Award Winner Shawn Ryan's star continues to ascend in the worlds of TV, Film, and Cabaret. Having just played the Cannes Film Festival with his Directorial Debut "Charlie", Shawn is excited to be hitting the road for a series of Cabaret Shows including Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. Having just released his directorial debut with Breaking Glass Pictures, "charlie" marks the actor’s first award winning role in Film.  Shawn was also a Semi Finalist on NBC's America's Got Talent and has been seen in numerous television appearances including Bones, The Mentalist, Life, One Night Stand Up, and Women's Murder Club  where he landed the role of Karen Adams, a transgendered Drag King with narcolepsy, all thanks to
Jane Lynch turning down the role. (You can't make this stuff up)  "His hilarious romp through tinsel town with song and story will have busting at the seams and standing in the aisles begging for more!" -The Times Picayune   Shawn is also the co-founder of The Young Actors’ Theatre Camp along with his partner of 15 years, John Ainsworth. 2016 is off to a great start and Shawn has have SO many exciting things to tell you about! Firstly, "Charlie" was officially released by Breaking Glass Pictures last week and they would love it if you would watch it and let them know what you think! Shawn and John Productions is fully formed and they have several upcoming projects, including 4 all new films!
He will be back at the Great American Music Hall in SF! This is a historically beautiful building and he would love for you to go out and catch their show on April
9th! Tickets go on sale this Friday, February 5th at 10am.
Shawn Ryan and the Kelly Park Band

As of this writing, what have you done TODAY?

It’s 9:17am, so I’ve walked the dog, had a cup of very necessary coffee, and answered all my emails.

What is YOUR morning Motivation?
Today, my morning motivation is that I am going on vacation on tomorrow (February 6th, 2016) and I want to get everything done off my to do list so
that I can truly relax while on the beach.

If you could have been anyone in history who would you like to have been?
 I would’ve loved to have walked a mile in Lucille Ball’s show. I feel like she and Desi had so many barriers to overcome and they
did it with such grace and ease. I’d love to go back and watch that relationship and how they forged so many streams together, so to speak.

Why do you place so much emphasis on what you do? Why should others?
I'm not sure if I place emphasis on what I do as an artist, it’s just who I am. I awake each day and want to share the gifts that have been given to me with the world.
I hope that my art, my outlook, and my passion will touch someone in some way. But for now, I just keep on waking up and making art.

If you could have lunch with one Celebrity, who would it be and where would you like to take them?
I'd have lunch with Richard Skipper and I’d take him to Joe Allens so we could see a Broadway show afterwards. I never get to see that guy enough. ;)

Favorite theater?
Because I’m not a New Yorker, I’m not sure which theatre is which in NYC. My favorite Theatre piece right now is Fun Home. (Editor's note: I'm listening to that as I write this!)I’ve seen it twice and was absolutely blown away
by the raw emotion that those singers were able to convey in such a strong piece of writing.
Could you tell me what your creative process is like?
I could, but then I’d have to kill you. Just kidding. Let’s see - I draw from others, I people watch, I listen, I meditate and when it’s ready to be channeled, it’s channeled.

What are you currently working on and WHY this project?
Currently I am working on a Feature Film script that I wrote, that I will also direct and star in in late spring. Currently, I am making changes to the first draft. I love this project and
love making films and I cannot wait to be on set with this one!

Read more about Shawn Ryan by going to his WEBSITE

In Entertainment News
"Thank you, NME, for this great honor. I accept this as your encouragement for me to keep making my 'Sound of Music'." That’s what Yoko Ono – icon, artist, activist and musician – said of the ‘Lifetime Inspiration Award’ she will pick up the NME Award in Austin, Texas on February 17. The ceremony will be held the at O2 Academy in Brixton and will see Ono, who has a birthday the day after the event, thanked for the massive impact she’s had on pop culture in the last 50 years, from pioneering contemporary art to inspiring John Lennon, whom she married in 1969
Here are eleven times Yoko Ono helped to shape the face of popular culture forever.
Read MORE

Robert Durst, star of HBO's 'The Jinx', set to face murder trial in California after pleading guilty to gun charge Read MORE.
The Paper Mill Playhouse world premiere of Chazz Palminteri's A Bronx Tale: The Musical, featuring a score by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater, begins previews at the New Jersey TONIGHTprior to an official opening Feb. 14. I wish Chazz and all involved with this MUCH SUCCESS! Chazz and I did a lot of theatre together when we were both starting out, mostly at the Thirteen Street Theatre and we did a musical together called, The King's Men. I am so proud of his success! 
In Hello, Dolly! News
Broadway wants to make a match with its new Dolly Gallagher Levi. Bette Midler is taking on the
famed role in the upcoming revival of “Hello, Dolly!,” about a grumpy bachelor’s matchmaker. Telsey + Company is sifting through potential actors for the remaining roles. The show will begin previews March 13, 2017, ahead of an April 20 opening in a yet-to-be-named theater on Broadway. Jerry Zaks will direct the musical that is set to begin rehearsals later this year.

Thank you, Carol for the gifts you have given to the world and continue to give! 

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward.
-Carol Channing

With grateful XOXOXs ,
 



 

Check out my site celebrating the legacy of Jerry Herman's Hello, Dolly!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!   
        


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook


Happy Birthday, Conrad Bain

Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com

Sarah Rice, Broadway's original Johanna of Sweeney Todd, will sing a Valentine's Day concert of songs from the operetta, classical and musical theatre repertoire, with Paul Jackel, in upstate New York, Feb. 14. - See more at: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/kiss-me-sweeney-todds-sarah-rice-sings-of-love-with-paul-jackel-feb.-14-111546#sthash.bYCP2Q2p.dpuf

February 13th, Peter Filichia in conversation with Richard Skipper at American Popular Song Society 

with Musical Director Michael Lavine
Danny Gardner and Aleka Emerson

Danny Gardner and Aleka Emerson and an all star cast
join  Peter Filichia and Richard Skipper
to celebrate the 1963/64 Broadway Season
Talk/Performance/Book Signing




Call Richard Skipper Celebrates at 845-365-0720 if you need more details.
Many surprises are in store. 
Please contact me if any questions.
Please LIKE Richard Skipper Celebrates on Facebook
Admission is Free for Members/$15.00 for Non-Members .

Doors open at 12:30 for those who want to buy sheet music Also members can take tables and sell their stuff. 2:30 -1:30 "Flea Market" 1:30 seating - showtime: 1:45 - 3:30.




Comments