Cabaret Month: Sheree Sano and MORE

Lane Bradbury joins Richard Skipper Celebrates April 8th
 Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters.
Author Margaret Wheatley

Happy March 27th, 2018!
March 27 is the 86th day of the year. There are 279 days remaining until the end of the year. 
It is a gorgeous day here in New York as I begin today's blog.
It doesn't seem fair that my workload has increased these last few days. I am shedding old parts of myself that are standing in the way of me making progress in my career.
I have always believed in treating others fairly. I also have learned that everyone doesn't share that mindset.
Life lessons learned over the past 24 hours. This sometimes causes me a lot of emotional pain because many people didn’t treat me in a way which I believe to always be fair. Sometimes things are hidden or are under the surface.
Today, I read a beautiful piece by Dr. Wayne Dyer, where he stated there was no such thing as fairness.
I am achieving goals that should be giving me fulfillment and yet I sometimes feel a sense of emptiness and a knawing that I am not doing enough.
If everybody’s definition is different, then there really isn’t any such thing as fairness.
Perhaps those that I feel are not being fair don't even have me on their radar OR they feel that they are absolutely being fair.
I cannot demand that others live by my standards. That is one of my biggest life lessons that I grapple with on a daily basis. As I always say, I am a work in progress. I simply accept that others are living by their own values and standards, as is their right, and they may not be a good fit for me. I may not be a good fit for them.  I AM TAKING THIS TIME TO reflect and wait, rather than do and act.
VALUES and standards are essential for communication, happiness, self-esteem, confidence, and success. I have clearly defined values and standards that work for ME. They might not work for you and that's OK.   I enlist the help of others when I can.

TODAY ends Cabaret Month here in New York. Tonight, the MAC (Manhattan Association of Cabarets and
Clubs) Awards take place at BB King's in New York. 
There is a frenzy and nervousness in the air as nominees hope their names will be called and they will make it to the podium giving them validation that all of their hard work and stress was worth it. I applaud ALL artists. Enjoy the journey and celebrate each other tonight. It's a party! CELEBRATE!

Speaking of Celebrating, today I celebrate Sheree Sano!
Sheree Sano has a wealth of  experience as a 
singer-pianist and it shows in her breezy, self-
assured, crowd-pleasing style and in the size and 
variety of her repertoire. She has worked 
internationally: several venues in Oslo including 
Barock and Victoria, also in Holland and at venues 
in France (Cannes and Paris, where she tickled the 
ivories at Harry’s Bar) She’s performed at the US 
Military Base at Thule, Greenland and,
believe it or not, she even played in the piano car 
on the AMTRAK Montrealer. She has  also played 
the piano bar for Holland America on a cruise to Mexico 
and for Carnival Cruises in the Caribbean 
(Carnival's Fantasy, Victory, Legend, Miracle and 
Holiday).  

In the US, she has performed at the Trump Plaza in 
Atlantic City, Boothbay Harbor in Maine, The 
Balsams Ski Resort in Dixville Notch, NH and of 
course, she’s played her share of Sheratons 
around the US.
Locally, that is to say, in and around New York City, 
Sheree has entertained at many glamorous parties 
held at such notable landmarks as Lincoln Center, 
Sotheby’s Auction House, The Players Club, The 
Explorer’s Club, etc., in addition to regular 
engagements at the many bars, hotels, and restaurants that fill Manhattan including the Monkey  Bar, the Millennium Hilton, and the Marriott Marquis in Times
Square, the uber-upscale Water's Edge on Manhattan's East River and the Trump Plaza in  Atlantic City.

Sheree’s ear-candy voice, energetic piano style 
and “something for everyone” repertoire
all come together to create a great atmosphere and 
a very happy piano bar.

Sheree is currently tickling the ivories at
the World-Famous Piano-Bar:
Don't Tell Mama
343 W. 46th St.

Fridays and Sundays 5pm - 9pm
212-757-0788

Enjoy our interview...

Who blazed the trail for you? 
I don't recall any one person "blazing a trail" for me but there were many people along the way who encouraged me, teachers and others who said and did things that made me feel like there might be something special about me and that I should believe in myself and take responsibility for whatever gifts - or deficits - I might have. 

Tell us about your upcoming gigs
I'm competing in the "Tomatoes Got Talent" Show on April 9th at the Triad and I play my regular piano gigs at Don't Tell Mama on Fridays and Sundays and also at SpoonfedNYC (which is now a MAC club) on Thursdays. (Gretchen Cryer, Jana Robbins, and Laila Robins Will Judge 5th Annual Tomatoes Got Talent Competition http://dlvr.it/QMYGZk

What is the most interesting fact you learned recently?
That women are more prone to heart disease because their veins and arteries are much smaller than in men - so tiny that doctors refer to them as being like lace. This also makes it harder to detect potential blockages.

Tell us a secret.
Nope - that's why they're called "secrets"  :-)  
(Although, Ira Lee Collings says the real secret is that I'm "hot for your bod" - but I figured that was already an "open secret" so…)

Who’s your number one fan?
Well, Richard, if we're leaving you and Russ out... :-)   I'd have to say that I feel a lot of love everywhere I go -people are very kind and I appreciate every single positive word or gesture that anyone is nice enough to share with me. 

Who haven't you worked with that you would like to?   
There are many music producers that I would LOVE to record with but if we're talking about live performance, where the people in the
KT Sullivan
audience are close enough to touch - and if we're not including YOU - 
I think it would be KT Sullivan because I admire the way she contributes to the 
world of Cabaret with performances at Town Hall, Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall and by providing scholarships for aspiring singers of the American Song Book as well as producing her own shows and events celebrating the works of our greatest composers.

Have you ever considered teaching?
I do teach - sometimes :-)  I am essentially a self-taught pianist (I learned to play so that I could work A LOT as a singer) and, because I had to work out a system for playing accompaniment piano for myself, it's something I can pass along to any singer who's motivated to play their own piano accompaniment. I think I can also help someone sing better because I've  learned so much "on the job" about how to approach vocal performance. That said, I don't "hang out a shingle" promoting myself as a teacher but if someone asks me to teach them what I know about playing piano or singing, I'm happy to oblige :-) 

What would you say is your current motivator?
I just want to keep trying to achieve "personal bests". My whole life I have wanted to perform songs the way I am now - to bring out all of the meaning and nuance and feeling that a song has within it. When I feel that I've "gotten it right", that I was "true to the song" and especially when someone lets me know that my way of conveying the song "resonated" with them - well, I think there's nothing better than that and it makes me want to keep doing good work that I can be proud of.

How do you see proceeding with your career? Do you have an upcoming project in mind after this
one? 
Apparently, I'm planning to do a show with the wonderful Joshua Lance Dixon at SpoonfedNYC (the place I play on Thursdays). No date set yet but we're thinking sometime in the next couple of months...

Is playing in piano bars at all difficult? 
I think it depends on whether your joy in the work is derived simply from the act of singing and playing or if you require a lot of "ego stroking". I
LOVE to sing and play the piano. I'm DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY that people pay me to sing and play piano and I'm OVER THE MOON when anyone says anything nice to me about my music - or anything (!) I appreciate it all so, no -I would not say that playing in piano bars is difficult :-)

What’s the next step for you? 
I think I'm pretty much on the right path - I'm doing what I've always wanted to do (and I'm gainfully employed at it) plus, I feel I have the respect of so many kind and talented people whose work and whose "person-ness" I respect and admire and this is very meaningful to me :-) 
  
What was your greatest risk?
(I took a risk with my "career" to take care of my mother as she began to decline in health. She lived in the Washington DC area and for about 12 years I commuted between NYC and DC to help her with all those things an elderly person needs. 
I often couldn't accept long tours or last-minute gigs that came up while I was in DC and I knew that it might affect my progress as a performer. But I believed - and still, believe -  that it was the right thing to do and I have no regrets.)

Name one person you would like to see profiled in my blog 
Wow - There are so many people I think are interesting... Unless it has to be a performer, I might suggest 2 people: Manuel Araujo (he manages the piano bar and special events at DTM, comes from Portugal, has a wonderfully deep and resonant speaking voice and a gracious and professional management style. I would also suggest Randy Witherspoon: He is the owner/chef of SpoonfedNYC
- home of my Thursday gig and a brand new MAC club; he was a dresser on Broadway for many years and has lots of friends in the Broadway theater community (people who work onstage, backstage, "front of the house", producers, directors...) In fact, he'll tell you that SpoonfedNYC is the direct result of the love and support he has received from the "Broadway Family".

Anything else you wish included?
Well, here's something: When I was born, my left arm was completely paralyzed. Several months of treatment and physical therapy got it working again but it's never been quite "right". I often find myself wondering at how lucky I am to be able to play the piano well enough to make a living at it. I'm always on the lookout for things to be grateful for and I'm pretty sure it's a good way to go through life - being grateful :-)

Great article in Playbill about the "Tomatoes Got Talent" Show...
http://www.playbill.com/article/gretchen-cryer-jana-robbins-and-laila-robins-will-judge-5th-annual-tomatoes-got-talent-competition 

Here’s the link for tickets:
http://thethreetomatoes.com/tgt2018

Here are Audition Highlights from the 12 Finalists:
https://youtu.be/XQOkBvqDJ2M

Proceeds go to Multiple Sclerosis Research and Treatment

Richard's Tuesday Picks
Doris Day will quietly celebrate her 96th birthday on April 3, but that won’t stop her adopted hometown of Carmel, California, from celebrating their favorite Hollywood legend and animal lover. Read MORE

 York City Cabaret Artists
Jerry Phelps, Elliot Roth and Karen Thompson present:
NO EVIL 2.0: A RESISTANCE CABARET New York, NY – Last seen at the Duplex a month and a half into the Trump presidency, No Evil: A Cabaret of Resistance, returns in 2018 older and wearier, but still here. This second incarnation of 2017’s sold out run remains dedicated to creating musical space for rage and resistance. Jerry Phelps, Elliot Roth and Karen Thompson, a diverse trio of eclectic and electric performers, plumb every genre of American music to galvanize and inspire, despite the daily onslaught of the Trump Administration’s lies, greed, and hate. Using their unique sound and deep talents to reflect the polarized views of the nation in this particular political moment, No Evil 2.0 allows music to speak where words cannot and make space for healing, survival, and deeply affecting moments of joy.
SHOW DETAILS
April 22 | 4:00 pm
May 11 + 12 | 9:30 pm
Duplex Piano Bar and Cabaret Theater
61 Christopher St, New York City
$15 cover advance, $20 at the door + 2 drink minimum.
Reservations: (212) 255-5438 or visit http://www.theduplex.com/site/calendar.

Save The Date! Richard Skipper Celebrates Richard Barclay. Don't Tell Mama May 26th 8PM.
Richard Barclay
Details to Follow.


Legendary Broadway and screen actress Carole Cook makes her New York cabaret debut at the age of 93. After receiving rave reviews in Los Angeles and San Francisco, this fabulous evening of memories and song comes to Feinstein’s/54 Below. Carole sings numbers from Sondheim to Coleman – from Billy Barnes to Jerry Herman. She recalls a scrapbook of memories, from being Lucille Ball’s protege to working with Ethel Merman.

JUNE 19 - 20, 2018 7PM Reservations a MUST! Order HERE!


I want to remember Linda Brown, the woman at the center of the Brown v. Board of Education U.S. Supreme Court Case. The court’s landmark ruling in 1954 led to the desegregation of the US education system. #womenshistorymonth

Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for gifts you have given to the world and will continue to give


Now, go and do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return!

April 8th, 2018 

Russ Woolley Proudly Presents
Richard Skipper Celebrates
Broadway and off-Broadway Firsts...and More!


1 PM Brunch Show Laurie Beechman Theater 
Lane Bradbury created the role of Dainty June in the original Broadway production of the classic show Gypsy starring Ethel Merman.
Annie Hughes off-Broadway Closer Than Ever
Lauren Mufson Broadway and National Touring companies of Mamma Mia!
Marta Sanders Best Little Whorehouse In Texas Original Company
AND Stephanie Pope Chicago, Fosse, Pippin

Musical Direction Joe Goodrich with Rex Benincasa on Percussion, Steve Doyle on bass, and Erik Lawrence on Sax

With music, reminisces and an afternoon of fun and show business! 90 minutes of merriment and excitement …Right on the heels of the 3/18 Russ Woolley's CELEBRATES Richard Skipper's’ BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION of John Kander

When and Where:
Sunday, April 8th - 1 PM, Doors open 12:15

THE LAURIE BEECHMAN THEATRE, 407 West 42nd Street (lower level of the WEST BANK CAFE) Producer: Russ Woolley $30 ticket plus $20 food/beverage minimum - exquisite and reasonably priced food and drink

Richard Skipper has assembled a great cast to entertain and honor Broadway and off-Broadway artists… RICHARD SKIPPER has become synonymous with “feel good entertainment of the highest quality”. For decades Richard has entertained thousands and celebrated the careers of many of Theatre Row’s finest and most honored stars… It is now our turn to honor artists and the roles they created and/or made their own… The afternoon will prove to be an event where all will arrive and leave with smiles! This will be similar to the old-fashioned TV specials and series where we get to chat with and honor this Entertainment Icon.

So — Order your tickets now online…
RESERVATIONS A MUST!

https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pe.c/10248067

A Few Audience Testimonials

If you have never been to one of Richard Skipper and Russ Woolley's shows, you have missed out on one of the most joyous occasions! The talent unmatched and the venue intimate. Richard brings the whole audience in and if he could fit us all up on that stage, he would🤗I've got my tickets for April 8th!
Kathleen Hochberg, Bethlehem PA

My friends and I came to Richard Skipper's celebration of CarolChanning and it was so much fun. I loved how he mixed interview with song. The love in the room was palpable, and Richard's never-ending smile showed how much of his heart went into this show. I would recommend this show to anyone who wants to feel better, open their heart to song and be lifted by the sheer joy of music. You are one of a kind, and your gift inspires us all. Thank you Richard Skipper.
Michele Philips, Piermont, NY

Richard Skipper Celebrates Carol Channing on Her 97th Birthday on 1/31/18 was a party with a marvelous host and a group of his very talented friends. I wasn’t just an audience member, I was a fellow celebrant. The wonderful stories and songs and a sensational video made it feel like Carol was in the room with all of us.
-Joshua Ellis, NYC
The show is also made possible by Wright Bros. Real Estate. 

If you have attended Richard Skipper Celebrates, and if you haven't already, Please add your thoughts in Richard Skipper's Guest Book at RichardSkipper.com
You never Know Who You Might See There and What Might Happen!

Happy Birthday, Sidney Portier!

With grateful XOXOXs ,

 

Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
  Keeping America great through Art!     

Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!

TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com







Comments

  1. Richard I loved this BLOG, what a wonderful glimpse into the life of our beloved Sheree Sano......I am a huge fan, and proud to be her friend....Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Russ - I feel the exact same way about you <3 Sheree

      Delete
  2. Richard - This is really nice of you!! :-) And I'm super impressed with the way this BLOG is designed - very eye-catching, easy to navigate and the fact that you've made the archived BLOGs so easy to access makes it a true "go-to" for a peak inside the lives of so many talented and interesting people... Can't thank you enough :-) :-) :-) Sheree

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment