Marnie Klar and Jaymie Meyer

To hear, one must be silent.
-Author Ursula K. Le Guin

Happy Valentine's Day, 2018!
It is also Ash Wednesday. February 14 is the 45th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 320 days remaining until the end of the year.
Everything seems more intense today and I wonder how long this hectic pace will continue. What are you giving up for Lent? Click HERE
I'm listening to Love songs on my iPod today. As I begin today's blog, Doris Day's Love Me Or Leave Me is playing in the background.  
Today, I'm CELEBRATING three artists that I absolutely love. Support their projects. Go out and see them and tell them I sent you.
Marnie Klar
Marnie has been seen as a runway model for such designers as Max Mara and Tiffany’s and has appeared in print layouts in numerous magazines including Seventeen, YM, and Self.
Her New York theatre appearances include LOVE SONG, VENUS  AND ADONIS and FLEET WEEKTHE MUSICAL. She has been performing at Don’t Tell Mama since 2011 and returns with her latest show, BEDTIME STORIES with Musical Direction by Steven Ray Watkins on February 17th at 4pm. Critics have called BEDTIME STORIES ‘simplicity itself’ (Bart Greenberg – Cabaret Scenes) and have commended Klar for ‘making every song her own, with an articulate, lyric-centered delivery’ and possessing the ‘balance between the strength of a prepared, well-
directed performer and the vulnerability of a person of strength and emotional depth.’ (Penelope Thomas – Bistro Awards). For More info Click HERE 







What Keeps You Going Through the Day?
Hmmm… This might sound strange, but I think waking up in a positive mood is important. 
I’m not saying I always am, nor do I always, but, in my opinion, it does makes a difference.  Then, I feel able to set some goals for myself for that day.  
They may consist of just a To Do List, or simply, a sense of being- whether that means pushing yourself to do something, which I personally love to do, or recognize when you just need to take a break.  
At the end of the day, I like to reflect and know that I accomplished what I set out to do that day.  Positively.  And, a great support group is everything.

What really inspired you to do your current show, to force you from taking an idea or experience and conveying it into a show?  
I wouldn't say I felt forced, really...  I will say that there were a few forces at work here…  Before BEDTIME STORIES, every cabaret show I have done thus far has been directly linked to my personal life.  And, these shows have been incredibly personal, and cathartic, for me.  However, once I felt like I had shared these intimate details and stories to the best of my ability through song (other than writing about them), I felt that it was time to move on.  
I’m a storyteller.  So, I gathered my team (consisting of Tanya Moberly, aka awesome Director, and Steven Ray Watkins, aka brilliant Musical Director), and we literally just worked on story songs.  It’s been thrilling, to say the least.  Believe it or not, I’m generally cast more as an actor than a singer, so this really plied into both of my strengths.

What animal would you like to be?
A Golden Retriever.
I grew up with these beautiful, intelligent fluffy balls of fluff.  However, I also saw beauty, when my mom, who is a Past President of a nursing home (where I used to sing), showed me the healing significance that touch therapy adds to the quality of life.
I saw the happiness of the residents.  More importantly, for me, I found an unwavering friend.  A Confidant.  Yep.  That’s what I want to be. 

For those who have not seen your current show, what is it about and whom do you believe is your targeted audience?

I just love that this show is all about other people’s stories.  I think someone or anyone can relate to any or all of the material.  
As far as target audience… Everybody!  I’m at Don’t Tell Mama.  It’s right in the heart of Times Square… On Restaurant Row!  
If you’re just visiting NYC, and you’ve never been to a cabaret show, please, I think you’ll enjoy the selections of music. 
Or, if you’re visiting and you want a variety of tunes, come see this show.  Or, if you want some really sweet eye candy (I hope they won’t mind), I’m on stage with two of the hottest performers I know.  And, I mean HOT.   Too much?  ;)

What does resilience mean to you?
Quite simply… strength.  I’ve had quite a few trials, (and believe me, I’ve questioned them,), but at the end of the day, I’m grateful.  They’ve taught me life.

Can you think of a moment that (ever) defined who you are today?
Yes, my car accident.  When I was sixteen I was involved in a horrific car accident.  During my healing process, I discovered that I have courage, a love of life and a fierce determination to never, ever let adversity win. 

From Bobbie Horowitz:  Marni Klar is one of those human beings that I felt related to from the minute I saw her several years ago. She was one of those young girls I could want for a daughter of my own and to be a sister to my son. Her goodness radiated and continues to radiate.
Etceterettes/Co-Hosts Marissa Mulder (L) and Marnie Klar (R) (Photo: Steve Schalchlin)
I'm totally thrilled to see how she’s developed her talent in the last few years. I can see she wasn’t content to just be beautiful looking and have an excellent voice. She’s worked on performing and now her totally truthful delivery of lyrics comes straight from "inside her" and I can’t believe that anyone who speaks our language (or - who may even

have grown up speaking another language) could help but be affected by what she is communicating through the songs she sings.
I’m a lyricist and I would be so honored to hear Marni sing my songs. I’ve seen her get a room giggling and/or move a room to tears.  
I’ve actually seen her accomplish both getting laughter and tears  – while performing one song!

Marni is one of those performers who could make me want to become a publicist.  The world should (and I believe will) know about her.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. – Winston S. Churchill

Jaymie Meyer
JAYMIE MEYER is a BISTRO Award-winning entertainer whose NYC appearances have
included engagements at Carnegie Hall’s Weill Recital Hall, the Algonquin Hotel’s Oak Room, and the Russian Tea Room as well as numerous appearances at
the annual Cabaret Conventions at Town Hall. In 2001, she founded
Resilience for Life, a business dedicated to providing  Group Wellness Programs, Lifestyle and Wellness Coaching and
Yoga Therapy. Jaymie was among the first in 2017 to receive the National Medical
Board Certification as a Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC). She is also
a HeartMath provider and a Certified Ayurveda Educator. 

Do you see yourself living anywhere else if you had the choice?
I will always consider myself a New Yorker, even though I was born in
FL.

What performers inspire you the most and/or what is your favorite kind
Barbara Cook

of music?
Barbara Cook, Rosemary Clooney, Portia Nelson, Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett,
Ben Platt and others.
I love many styles of music: Great American Songbook, Jazz, Classical, and
Movie Soundtracks (Quincy Jones, Phillip Glass, Jerry Goldsmith and Henry Mancini are favorites.)

Where did you grow up?
Miami, FL

What do you do for fun? 
Where do I begin? Hike, read, go to the movies and theater, cook, sing, practice yoga, and play with my cat Maggie. Plus myriad activities with my husband including making music, traveling, playing Scrabble, taking improv classes and currently stage fighting with a lightsaber. (I’m a Jedi, he’s a Sith).

Who is your favorite superhero?
Wonder Woman, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Rosa Parks

Current project URL, upcoming in NYC on March 29th (image attached below):

https://iyiny.org/workshops-and-events/calendar/heartmath-practical-
skills-9679

Latest recording, Whistling Away the Dark by Henry Mancini and Johnny
Mercer (image attached):
https://soundcloud.com/mikehihz-1/whistling-away-the-dark

Anything else you wish included?
While I continue to produce a yearly recording with my
husband who plays guitar, I have focused the majority of my time in the
past 15+ years on Resilience for Life.  I feel blessed to have found two paths that I feel deeply passionate about
that allow me to be of service and use my skills. 
I coach groups and individuals all over the world via the
internet and love helping people to age optimally and
increase resilience. WEB: www.ResilienceForLife.com

Can you think of a moment that (ever) defined who you are today?
I think loss has defined a big part of my life and consequently contributed to my joie de vivre.
I lost my mother at age 11 and my father died in my 30’s before my Carnegie Hall debut. I'm an only child and they were both only children.
It’s a sobering moment when both parents are gone. That happened at a relatively early age for me.
Understanding how fleeting and precious life is, and doing my best to stay in the moment, have helped define who I am.

And In Other News...
Katharine McPhee
Katharine McPhee Will Make Her Broadway Debut in Waitress

Win the VIP treatment at The Iridium and Ellens Stardust Diner by entering the Ellen's Stardust Diner - New Faces of 2018 Broadway Showcase before the contest closes on Friday, February 16 at 11:59pm.
There are two ways to enter Check out the contest link here: http://iridiumconcerts.com/sweepstakes/
New Faces of 2018 Broadway Showcase takes place on Tuesday, February 20 at 8:00 pm.


Memorial Service and Tribute for Charlotte Patton Scheduled for Saturday, March 10 at 4 PM

From Bob Ost: Any of my theater friends have a musical they're working on? TRU (Theatre Resources Unlimited) is looking for interesting submissions of works (or works-in-progress) for "How to Write a Musical That Works, part 2: Conflict and Obstacles" on 2/25. Deadline extended to this Friday. Feedback panel features Ken Cerniglia of Disney and some other really astute people. Go to TRU's WEBSITE for more info. 

Now, Go Out and Do Something Nice For Someone Else Without Expecting ANYTHING in Return!


Here are a Few Testimonials for Richard Skipper Celebrates: Next One March 18th 1 PM  Laurie Beechman Theater: Please visit RichardSkipper.com For Updates

I love Richard Skipper Celebrates Shows I have had the pleasure of attending several. They are always entertaining and totally awesome. His guests are entertaining and so is Richard. His live talk shows are a plus for me because not only are they entertaining, they give insight inside the cabaret and arts community and also the guests are given the opportunity to promote their upcoming events. I like that's it's fair and balanced. Keep up the great work bringing awareness to the Arts and entertainment world.
Dianne Rike, Trotwood Ohio Thank you so much for letting me be part of Richard Skipper Celebrates. Richard Skipper a consummate showman and what’s more important, generously kind. Love him! Nancy McGraw, NYC (Richard Skipper Celebrates October 8th, 2017) Love Richard Skipper's wonderful interviews! I always seem to lose track of time when I'm watching them. Keep up the great work! Jasmine


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs ,

 





Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!
  Keeping America great through Art!     

Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!

TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com





Comments