We're In This Together: Part One In A New Series...Today, Let's Celebrate Patricia Fitzpatrick

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.”

― Flannery O'Connor

Happy Wednesday, March 22nd

Most of the time, we’re thinking and living from the surface, instead of living from the spirit.
I read those words this AM as I was doing my Morning Pages (Thank you, Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way). 

Today marks my 15th day in Social Distancing. Anyone who knows me KNOWS this is hard for me.  I do believe this is a lesson from the Universe to teach us to no longer take our friends and those things that matter to us for granted. We ALL are in this together and to get me through this. I have chosen to get out of my own mindset and into that of those I love,
AD for Cougars  2012
respect, and admire. Close friends may know some of the people I write about. Some you may not know. Whether you are straight, gay, lesbian, white, black, Asian, or any other religion, Blue, red, indifferent. 

We are ALL in this together. I want to introduce you to my
friends and maybe I will make some new friends as we progress.
To kick off this series, I reached out to my friend Patricia Fitzpatrick.  

Richard Skipper Celebrates Patricia Fitzpatrick 
Born in Brooklyn NY 1941 – do the math! Fitzpatrick always knew she wanted to entertain an audience. 
She and her sisters would produce live stage events, Sundays after Mass, at their childhood home in Malvern, Long Island.
At the age of 17, Fitzpatrick was ‘discovered’ by Celeste Holmes singing in a night club on Cape Cod. Holmes gave her a business card for a talent manager at MGM Records
in New York City. Under the stage name ‘Sandy Beach’, Fitzpatrick cut a demo record, at the Brill Building for MGM.
Instead of the career she had hoped for, Fitzpatrick attended the University of Detroit, met and married her husband and traveled the country as a Navy Officer’s wife. During this period Fitzpatrick appeared in local community theater, was the featured ‘girl singer’ at the Detroit Playboy Club and raised her family of five children.
Thirty - five years, five children and a career in hotel sales management for Holiday Inn’s later... she went back to performing. She appeared at Don’t Tell Mama in her debut show
Patricia Fitzpatrick
“It’s About Time!” with Musical Director Bobby Wetherbee. Stu Hamstra,

cabaret reviewer, called Fitzpatrick “Fitzpatrick is a breath of fresh air. “The real deal.”
“One of the best storytellers in cabaret today!”
Since her first debut at Don’t Tell Mama in NYC she has been nominated twice for a MAC (Manhattan Association of Cabarets and Clubs) Award, [ “I’m Single Again, and this Time It’s Not My Fault!” and “Cougars on the Prowl” with Musical Director Barry Levitt and guest stars Dana Lorge and
Helena Grenot]. She recorded two CD’s “ A Dream or Two” and “ Basically Blue?” now on Amazon and CD Baby, appeared as a featured performer with the Jay Phelps Trio at the famed Ronnie Scott’s in London, England , two seasons at the Five Diamond, The
Sugar Club in Antiqua with Bobby Wetherbee , Little Onion, Denver, Colorado, Top of the Pru and Club Café, Boston and Germano’s in Baltimore. To date Fitzpatrick has appeared at NYC, The Metropolitan Room, The Iguana with Richard Skipper and Dana Lorge, The Duplex, and over 28 shows at Don’t Tell Mama.
Dana Lorge


The retired Director of Tourism for the Town of Provincetown (1998- 2005), Fitzpatrick
first saw cabaret performed at a festival begun by producer John O’Neil. In 2014, her
production company Ambassador Productions picked up the discarded festival and returned it to Provincetown. 
Last year, the CabaretFest 2019 was the largest gathering
of cabaret performers in New England. 
This year is the 20th Anniversary of the cabaret
festival and Fitzpatrick is praying that the festival can be held under decision until April
CabaretFest

27, due to the COVID 19 pandemic) .
Festival dates May 127 – May 31 2020 feature
Master Classes, education, solo shows, Variety Show, Open Mic and guest star John
Davidson.
“Music heals our souls. Performers come together to create a space for nurturing and peace. We need a festival to bring us together once again. I pray we'll all be safe and be able to celebrate live music and music education again this year.”, said Fitzpatrick

Antigua"  the Sugar Club:  December 2013
Give me 7 facts about you most people don’t know 
1. I am the oldest of five children and I am the mother of five children
2. Born in Brooklyn New York
3. My father wrote TV commercials for Milton Berle Show, Ed Sullivan Show and Eddie Fisher Show. Worked for
Home 2020 Quarantined.
biggest advertising companies on Madison Avenue for 25 years. Won Clio Advertising Awards.4. I am a great cook. Love to create wonderful family style meals, bake and entertain in my home.
5. Once owned a Victorian Bed and Breakfast in the Finger Lakes area, Auburn, New
Love Trumps Hate “2016 Metropolitan

York “The Irish Rose B and B” 1990 – 1997.
6. Basically, I am a shy person. When not on stage, prefer to be with a small group
of family or friends.
7. I am claustrophobic! Can’t stand to be in small, confining spaces.


What cancellations have you endured due to the Coronavirus?  
I am also a step on tour guide for New England. Many of the tours for the spring have cancelled. I have not had to cancel any singing engagements – yet!

Do you have a structured routine during this time? 
Yes. I make my bed, get dressed, have my coffee, turn on the computer and begin my day by 9 AM. I try to step outside at least once a day to breath the fresh air!

Name one thing you’ve learned about yourself during this time.
CabaretFest Finale 2018

I enjoy my own company. I always find some project to begin and will not go to bed until it is finished! I can not be still for long periods of time.

What song(s) are you currently listening to during this time? 
Always have Alexa playing Broadway show tunes or Sinatra station. 

It even plays songs by Patricia Fitzpatrick, when asked. LOL Always! My life has a musical score in the background – like a movie! (It's true! I'm listening as I type these words! Hope you readers will do the same!)

Do you believe our spirit lives on after we pass on?  
Absolutely! I have
always thought I was here before. I meet people and realize we knew each other in
another life! 
White Wind Inn with Brian Patton, Vivienne LaBabera and Patricia” USO Radio Show” Ptown   Show 2018


Our bodies disappear. Our spirit is energy and as such, never dies!

What has been a challenge you have faced during this time
Not being able to see, touch or hug those I love, my children, family and friends. Touch is so very important.

Lighting round! Describe each of the following in one word: Who you are, what you value the most, and what you’d be if you were a food item. 
1. Who Am I? - Mother
2. What I value the most? Memories
3. What food item would I be? Peach


What do you like least? 
People who lie to my face. It is an insult. Also, can’t stand filthy
language. We have so many wonderful words. Find one that explains how you are feeling.  Stop using swear words as language substitutes.

What do you want MOST for the current POTUS to accomplish? 
The one thing I want the current POTUS to accomplish is his complete retirement from government as soon as possible.

Thank you, Patricia Fitzpatrick, for the gifts you have given to the world and will continue to give. 

Now, everyone, please go and and do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return! Go to the 7th friend in your friend's list and call them! We're ALL in this together! Till tomorrow...




Comments

  1. This was entirely entertaining, Richard. I felt as though I was in the same room as you and Patricia ( whom I adore).... I'm not actually surprised because both of you have the ability to fully engage with your audiences.... You and I have worked together on MANY RSC shows, and I was fortunate enough to see two of Patricia's shows over the past year or so.... I can vividly recall listening and being with her during that last show at DTM.... and her USO Radio show was tons of fun..... Great piece today, my friend ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Richard for including me in your wonderful new series! I appreciate the opportunity to respond. Your questions were very thought provoking! Love, Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment