January 11th, 2016

Happy Birthday, Ray Bolger!
I could while away the hours
Conferring with the flowers
Consulting with the rain
And my head I'd be scratching
While my thoughts were busy
hatching
If I only had a brain.....
 
by Harold Arlen (music) and E.Y. 
Harburg (lyrics). 
 
Happy January 11th, 2016!

I look forward to the possibilities of the
week and what today holds past, present, and future!
The question for today is Do you have what it takes to be “the best?”
Would you pass the “Best” test?

What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do?
Would you pass the “Best” test?
Here are questions to find out if you’ve got what it takes to rise to the top:
Are you an optimist?
You won't get to the top when you don't think there is a top, or when you think you won't make it.


Here are 12 questions to find out if you’ve got what it takes to rise to the top:

1. Are you an optimist?

- See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
What does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpufhat does it mean to be the best? What are the characteristics common to successful people, achievers, doers—the ones who find ways to become the very best at everything they do? - See more at: http://www.success.com/article/12-characteristics-of-people-who-are-the-best-at-what-they-do#sthash.Dx7REKLV.dpuf
 
David Bowie has died at the age of 69, after changing pop and rock. Thank you for the music, sir.

Yesterday, January 10th, David Bowie passed away after a secret 18-month battle with cancer.
He had turned 69 just two days before, a date celebrated with the release of his 25th album, Blackstar.
 Bowie’s first single, released under the name Davie Jones with the King Bees, was released in 1964. It wasn’t a commercial success, but if you listen to it, the talent is there.
He was one of, if not the most, iconic musicians of his era.
If you have an hour, watch this presentation on Ziggy Stardust and reflect on David Bowie, one of the most influential  musicians of our time. He set the standard for so many who followed him including Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, KISS, to name a few.
RIP David Bowie 💕Bowie: 1947-2016.
David Bowie broke down barriers, inspired legions. 
I woke up to my radio playing nonstop David Bowie.

Such a sad day. Yet even in death, graceful, classy and elusively cool to the last. The loss is incalculable. R.I.P. David Bowie.
Thank you for the music.
May God's Love be with you.
His exit comes the same weekend as his release of his album Blackstar. He went out on top, with a strong album that lives somewhere outside the realm of normal, but is palatable for listeners of all tastes—a fitting final note for his career as an approachable oddball. Meanwhile, his off-Broadway musical Lazarus continues to do very well at New York Theatre Workshop, and its title song was released four days before his death. In a moment of poetry, Lazarus was the biblical character who lived after death.(Source: MetroSource.com).  

David Bowie Tribute Concert: Cyndi Lauper, The Roots to Perform in Honor of Musician in New
York 
The concert, which was previously planned as a tribute show to honor Bowie, is set to go on as planned after news of Bowie's death, the event's director Michael Dorf  says.
As I sat down to write this blog this AM, Judy Garland was singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas through my Ipod.
I have over 8,000 songs playing on shuffle.
Michael Feinstein: One of my favorites

I have a soundtrack to my life daily and I try to keep mostly upbeat songs playing constantly as I work.


Throughout the day, the artists I love pop in to surprise me and give me a warm feeling....especially from those I know personally.



Then there are those who have been a part of the landscape of my life my entire life! One month from today, I will be celebrating my 55th year on this planet. I know that my life is more than halfway over.
I shudder as I type these words. It was just yesterday that I was eighteen and getting on a plane to pursue my dream.
As I look back over my life, the past 36 years get the most emphasis.
The Town Clock in my hometown
My arrival in New York feels to me as my TRUE birth. These songs have remained my friends through thick and through thin.

Over the course of my life, I used to have a dream of being part of the "in" crowd. That "in" crowd, to me, has always been the movers and shakers of this business we call "show".
As I look back, I have been lucky enough to call many of my idols my friends.
However, after last night, I think my focus has shifted! 

One thing that I used to always look forward to year after year were the awards shows. 
I would like to take a moment to reflect on an awards show that I think after last night has
become an embarrassment to the industry, the Golden Globes. If last night is any indication of the direction of this industry, I no longer desire to be a part of the "in" crowd.
I turned it off after 20 minutes. At 9PM, like most of America, I went to Downton Abbey.
It seems in recent years, that the awards have gotten further and further away from the reason that they are happening in the first place, to celebrate the artists and their work.
I tried to watch the insipid rep carpet arrivals.

When Joan Rivers hosted the red carpet, she would ask, "Who are you wearing?" It was HER "shtick". Now, the "interviewers" cannot get passed that question.
 "Joan changed it all with four little words: 'Who are you wearing?'

What Joan really brought was honest conversation to the carpet." Joan Rivers' honesty suddenly turned the celebrities into targets. One thing was certain, Joan stayed true to who SHE was!

Perhaps, I am of the minority but if I was interviewing on the red carpet, I would ask more thought provoking questions.
Questions like
Classic
"How did this role come about?", "What are you working on now?", "What is next for you?", "What is the greatest obstacle you have faced in this industry?", "What advice do you offer to others desiring to pursue a career in this business?",   or simply have a conversation with the artists.
It has become more about the designers than the recipients of the awards. If you want to see a classic red carpet event, look at the opening of the Judy Garland version of  A Star is Born. Then watch THIS!
The emphasis used to be more on the celebrity aspect as opposed to "who they were wearing. Remember Army Archerd? I miss him AND his style AND CLASS!

Hollywood Glamour I miss

One other thing I'd like to mention, When you win the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award wouldn't it make sense to have a speech prepared ahead of time?
Just sayin. . .
It seems to me that "artists" are playing to the lowest common denominator in a desperate need to be discussed on all the programs the next day.
That goes along with outlandish clothing, saying offensive things, doing what they can.
Most people are afraid to speak out for fear that they are advocating censorship. I believe all of us should operate from a moral compass and learn to censor ourselves from time to time. There is a time and a place and 8PM during family viewing time is not the place for what was presented last night. ALL of us deserve better!

Again, What happened to CLASS? I celebrate artistry today. Here are several of my favorite artists, starting with Ann Miller! "Machine-Gun Taps"! HAHA No one could touch her. She was a true Star.

I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with her when she was starring in the Papermill Playhouse's production of Follies in 1998. We had a mutual friend, the late Dick Kelly.
with Annie Miller and Danny after her performance in Follies at the Papermill Playhouse in 1998
He told Annie (she
asked me to call her that) that I was a huge fan and would love to see her after the show. We went backstage to see her in one of the smallest dressing rooms I have EVER seen! It wasn't even a "star" dressing room. She was sharing it with Phyllis Newman and perhaps others. She came out and said that she was dying to meet us and if we could wait until she took her make-up off, that it would just be a few minutes. 
Happy Birthday, Naomi Judd
She came out 45 minutes later wearing her "street makeup." It was more than what she wore onstage! She came from that school of MGM and KNEW how she wanted to be seen. To me, it wasn't superficial.
It was her authentic self and expressed who she was, A STAR.
There is a story that she once put "star" next to occupation in an application she was filling out. I don't know if that is true or not but it certainly suits her.

The Awards season is upon us. My advice starts at the top. Keep it classy and keep it clean! If I wanted raunchy and put downs I would go to a
Happy Birthday, Grant Tinker! Thanks for your body of WORTH!
comedy club and/or a Friar's Roast.
I was lucky enough to host The Legacy Awards for Dancers Over 40 this past December.
Dancers Over 40's last event of 2015, the 7th Annual Legacy Awards presentation, was its most joyous. This holiday celebration and awards event was held December 7th, at LIPS Restaurant, 227 East 56th Street. This year's event was hosted by me with live entertainment by cabaret legend Barbara Minkus and Dames at Sea star Danny Gardner along with other surprise guests. Click on the above link for photos!
Each honoree holds a special place in the world of dance and have all contributed to promoting Dancers over 40 and the History, Legacy and Lives of our community. DO40 members honored come from Broadway, Ballet and Radio City Music Hall! These five individuals whose careers span over 50 years in show business have worked with all the greats - Robbins, Fosse, Bennett, Champion, de Mille, Gennaro, Layton and more. We celebrated 
 Donna McKechnie, Tony Sheldon, James Dybas, Janice Herbert and the late Gene Gavin - DO40 members who have been at the forefront of promoting the History, Legacy and Lives of the mature dance community.
The ALWAYS classy Donna McKechnie



Remember, if you are hosting an awards show that everyone that is there are there to honor those that are nominated.
This may not necessarily be YOUR audience. They also may not be your fans.
PLEASE make it about the honorees.
Celebrate them and try to remain in the background as much as possible.  Speaking of honoring, Happy Birthday, Naomi Judd!
Naomi Judd is a tour-de-force. She made country music history and charmed Hollywood, but her story is far more than a heartwarming rags-to-riches tale.
It is a quintessentially American lesson in perseverance and the life-altering power of positive thinking.

In other news, The Metropolitan Room and Bernie and Joanne Furshpan hosted a 24 hour Annual Variety Marathon that began at 11:30 am continuing for 24 hours January 2 thru January 3. Much shorter than last year's Guinness Book World Record Marathon of 60 hours (that made it into that famous book as longest Variety Show). Recap of Met Room’s 24 Hour Variety Marathon Posted on Jan 11, 2016 in Music Reviews, TheatrePizzazz
News of people I love and Admire

Kiyoshi Otsuka exhibits new black and white paintings at the First Street Gallery, Pop-Up, On and Off the Wall, opening on January 14, 6–8 pm. January 14–16.
These works span Otsuka's interest in the depth of experience captured through liquid gesture. 526 West 26th Street, Suite 209
New York, NY 10001
646.366.8053 info@firststreetgallery.orgfirststreetgallery.org
 I am thrilled for my friend Lori Tan Chin who is currently appearing in Gotta Dance in Chicago. It is slated to hit Broadway next autumn.



Rachel York returns to Broadway soon in the star-studded new musical DISASTER! set to rock the Nederlander Theatre in February 2016.  I wish them all a highly succesful run and I cannot wait to see it. I last saw Rachel in Grey Gardens as young Edie Beale this past summer at the Bay Street Theatre in the Hamptons opposite Betty Buckley.

 WEDNESDAY @ 7PM:  "New York Cabaret's Greatest Hits" series at the Metropolitan Room starts off with Karen Oberlin's tribute to the genius songwriter Frank Loesser that I was lucky enough to see when she performed it at the Algonquin in 2010. WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13th @7PM.



Thank to ALL that are mentioned in this blog for the gifts you have given to the world and continue to give! 
Make 2016 the year of YES!

With grateful XOXOXs ,

 



 

Check out my site celebrating the legacy of Jerry Herman's Hello, Dolly!
Rachel York as Dolly Levi


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!   
          



Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook



Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY


Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com





February 13th, Peter Filichia in conversation with Richard Skipper at American Popular Song Society 
Local 802 AFM 322 W 48th St, New York, New York 10036  AT 1:30PM!

with Musical Director Michael Lavine
 Klea Blackhurst and an all star cast
join  Peter Filichia and Richard Skipper
to celebrate the 1963/64 Broadway Season
Talk/Performance/Book Signing




Call Richard Skipper Celebrates at 845-365-0720 if you need more details.
Many surprises are in store. Please contact me if any questions.
Please LIKE Richard Skipper Celebrates on Facebook
Admission is Free for Members/$15.00 for Non-Members .

Doors open at 12:30 for those who want to buy sheet music Also members can take tables and sell their stuff. 2:30 -1:30 "Flea Market" 1:30 seating - showtime: 1:45 - 3:30.
JOIN US AND SEE AN ALL LIVE SHOW!


 







Comments