Investigating where I AM...And Where I Desire To Go

Bette Midler in Dolly: Bridging the past with the Present
Happiness, it seems, to me, consists of two things: first, in being where you belong, and second-and best-in comfortably going through everyday life, that is, having had a good night's sleep and not being hurt by new shoes. 
-Theodor Fontane, German author (1819-1898)

Happy Monday, August 7th, 2017!
August 7 is the 219th day of the year. There are 146 days remaining until the end of the year.  
Today's blog is a stream of consciousness blog. random thoughts on a Monday. 
It is a rainy day here in New York. I find days like this to be turbulent. Rainy days actually do affect my entire outlook. I work through them, but trust me, it is hard! A friend posted on Facebook today, When I get slammed with a cold I really miss Mom. I can't visit her the way I need to, want to. Well, cold is clearing now. Mom duty begins. Thankful. Holding on tight.
I know exactly what she means!
Nothing seems to be going my way today. I, however, am not regretting or turning back.My horoscope tells me that I'm facing a time of challenging communications, especially in the realms of work and money. It goes on to tell me that creativity is flowing thick and fast, but it will be harder than usual to be heard. I hope that is not the case! It also goes on to tell me that today's planetary movement exerts an energy that might make me feel like my dreams are just out of reach. Aargh!  In addition to the weather, am fighting the flu and as I sat down to begin today's blog, I was listening to Barbara Fasano's CD, Written In The Stars.  

Bette Midler and David Hyde Pierce entertaining the lucky ones who can afford a ticket
It is a wonderful mellow CD to listen to on a day like today. Barbara happens to be one of my favorite singers in today's cabaret scene.
There are many artists thriving here in New York City that are not known on a wider spectrum.

It is all because of the times that we live in and the way that the entire sphere of entertainment is so fragmented.

At another time, Barbara would have been a household name.
with Natalie Douglas

Another singer that would also have been a household name is Natalie Douglas. She and beau Billy Joe Young are celebrating twenty five years today. Love them both!
Natalie is going to be a Mystery Guest in Richard Skipper Celebrates!
One of these dates: September 10th, October 8th, December 5th.  You'll have to be there to find out which one!

In the early days of Barbra Streisand's rise, for
Liza in the 70s proving that Life really is a Cabaret
example, there were 'talent scouts' who ventured into the many nightclubs, now called cabarets, seeking talent for the many TV shows that aired live here in New York.
How I would love to go back to the days of Ed Sullivan in which a family (now also fragmented) would sit together on a Sunday night to see the eclectic mixed bag that Mr. Sullivan would present.From Avi Duvdevani: 42 years ago, that August of 1975, when Liza substituted for five weeks for GWEN VERDON, appearing in the Broadway run of the hit show, CHICAGO, opposite CHITA RIVERA.
With only one week of rehearsal time and no public announcement, other than this announcement at each curtain: "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. At this performance, the role of Roxie Hart, normally played by Gwen Verdon .....will be played by LIZA MINNELLI!" And the audience went nuts)
Liza played to standing-room audiences, garnering critical and public acclaim.
Can you imagine?Donna Murphy is not as well known as Bette Midler outside of theater circles but she should be getting the same kind of response. She IS that good! I love her in the role and it is a shame that she is not getting the same kind of acclaim as Bette. Her vocals are so strong that a second CD should be made. Tickets are easier to get on the nights Donna is on. Do yourself a favor and treat yourself. You will thank me!
Broadway Review: ‘Hello, Dolly!’ With Donna Murphy: Variety


My horoscope today also indicates that I may have extra money in my pocket.
LL Cool J and Carol Channing on the Tonys several years ago bridging the past with the present
I truly do not know what it means it have extra money in my pockets. I never have. However, I'm hopeful and if that ever does happen, I most assuredly would be a patron
Looking forward to sharing a stage with Ben Rimalower on September 10th!
of the arts.
I am much happier sacrificing my own gratification for the satisfaction of others. I make a point to get together with close friends and loved  ones AT LEAST once a week.
I am passionate about helping others. I am using the transit to get in touch with what I really desire, so that I am able to take appropriate steps toward achieving that. See, there are daily lessons to be gleaned from our horoscopes whether you believe them or not. I use my horoscopes as daily guidelines. It also tells me that the stars are working in my favor this week and I'm driven to try new things. I signed on, along with my producer Russ Woolley today with a new marketing firm to promote The Richard Skipper Celebrates Show. We will be utilizing them for our September show. If we see major results, we will utilize them all season. I'm really hopeful! It's time to branch out.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - Anais Nin

Thoughts are whirling around in my head and I know I need to change my outlook.

Seven years ago, I was traveling all over the country as Carol Channing. Now, that is very much a part of my past.
Doris, Dear
I never desired to be called either a drag queen OR even a female impersonator. I liked to be called a tribute artist.
However, today, I found an article that puts things in perspective for many. I reached out to my friend Doris Dear, for 'her' perspective. Doris Dear is going to be a Mystery Guest in one of my upcoming shows (see above with Natalie Douglas). You'll have to attend to find out which one. Perhaps we will discuss this!

Well depends on who, I think. I never refer to my professional cabaret self as a drag queen. It reduces me to a bar maiden!
I get marginalized enough for wearing a dress. I am an actor, have been professionally making my living that way for 38 years now.
To reduce me to that is not what I want suddenly because I wear a dress for some of my shows.
But then again, saying you do drag immediately puts it in a  place that people understand.
Female Impersonator always makes me think you are impersonating someone specifically
like Cher or Dolly 

-Doris Dear

Never let a bad situation bring out the worst in you. Be strong and choose to be positive.-Megan Fox

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. - African Proverb

200th Day of our Potus' Presidency and what do WE have? YOU tell ME!

The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new. - Socrates

I'm throwing back the curtain and showing my followers the little man behind the Wizard who is always trying to put forth a positive image of a man. 

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience!


You have the power to change anything, because you are the one who chooses your thoughts and feels your feelings.

Here are a Few Testimonials for Richard Skipper Celebrates: Next One September 10th 1PM Laurie Beechman Theater: Reserve HERE:
w/Ann Dawson, Emily McNamara, Ben Rimalower... AND a Beloved Cabaret Mystery Guest

Dear Richard,
Thank you for the tribute to Judy Garland in honor of her birthday for the American Popular Song Society on Judy Garland's Birthday (6/10/17). The entertaining film clips, the guest performers and your interviews all made for a memorable afternoon.

Ann Dawson, NYC 
See Ann Dawson as part of Richard Skipper Celebrates September 10th

Though I have not have the great fortune to see Richard's show's live (Please come to Vegas!!!)   I do have the great fortune of calling him one of my dearest friends. And that dear ones, is  a great blessing indeed.   Richard is a blessing to all who he encounters.   His positivity will help you through the hardest of days.   Truly one in a million :)  May God continue to bless all you do!
Love,
Jamie Farrar, Las Vegas

What a wonderful afternoon at Richard Skipper Celebrates! I'd had a very trying morning on Sunday, and I wasn't in the best of moods when I arrived, but within seconds of the show starting, all tension slipped away and I could feel the smile creeping across my face, a smile I kept for days after.
Doug Devita, NYC

Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs , 
 




Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!

Become a part of the Call On Dolly Project by contributing to Our Go Fund Me Page Today #CallonDolly

https://www.gofundme.com/CallonDolly-FromCaroltoBetteandBeyond



NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
  

Keeping America great through Art!     


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com

 






Comments