It Helps To Sing About It

Ben Rimalower is featured in Richard Skipper Celebrates September 10th
Ask yourself what is really important and then have the courage to build your life around your answer. 
-John F. Kennedy

Happy Monday, August 28th, 2017!
As you read this, my hope is that you are having a blessed day. A Gorgeous Day here in New York.
August 28 is the 240th day of the year. There are 125 days remaining until the end of the year. Autumn is fast approaching and I really think of this as the beginning of the year.

On Aug. 28, 1963: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his “I Have A Dream” speech, bending the arc a little further towards justice.
Doris, Dear will be a FUTURE Mystery Guest in Richard Skipper Celebrates
As I sat down to begin my blog, my iPod was playing in the background, more specifically, Straight to Heaven from the original cast recording of Zanna Don't.

I read on line this AM, "When you can't find what you need elsewhere sometimes that means you
Keep Up To Date with all things pertaining to Cabaret with Cabaret Scenes
have to be the one to create it."
My Horoscope tells me that my intuition is increased today to the point where I feel like a mind reader, like I could deduce the thoughts and motives of people I've never met before. I LIKE THAT!
The 'WORD for the day is IINTRIGUED . Think of this word as your mantra for the day. First apply the word to yourself, THEN apply this word to EVERYONE YOU meet. Think of this word as you respond to EVERY POST you see throughout the day. The 'word 'for TODAY is INTRIGUED . Please pay it forward...
I work from home and am the mastermind behind my career, I've no one to blame but my self for what happens. Keep the faith; my moment in the spotlight is coming sooner than you think. My horoscope also tells me that my intuition is increased today to the point where I feel like a mind reader, like I could deduce the thoughts and motives of people I've never met before. I'm READY!
I am better than I was, And I'll be better than I am. I am putting this ability to work advancing my financial condition. My insights are usually correct!
Bob Diamond is hosting the next MAC Open Mic
Others are not as intuitive as I am sometimes and this makes me rather frustrated.I love, however, being part of a group. I LOVE the collaborative process. The beauty in daily life is accentuated all around us, and you must reach out and touch it! It's important to create a place of serenity in my mind and heart. This might mean turning off the news and avoiding gossip. I am in the saddle today.  Professionally, I have several things going at once and this is the price and key to my success. 'Mistakes' are proof that I'm trying.
Reminding you that tomorrow night, Tuesday Aug 29th MAC (Manhattan Association of Cabarets and Clubs) is beginning another wonderful season of the MAC Roving Open Mic. WHERE: The Laurie Beechman Theater on 42nd and 9th.

And to add to the excitement, they have as the Musical Director for the evening the wonderful Matthew Martin Ward guiding you through your song.
IT HELPS TO SING ABOUT IT To Play At The Metropolitan Room once again
And it is the first time Matthew has been able to be with them. Bob Diamond will be your host for the evening. Singing starts at 7pm, but sign up starts at 6:30.

There is no cover charge for MAC members and only MAC members can sing. The charge for non-members is $10. All involved should help to fulfill the house minimum of $20 in food and/or drink.It is important for all to know that all, MAC and non-MAC are welcome, but only MAC Members can sing. But you can join there for 1 year at $50.00 and then sing, and if you just go to four more open mic you have you have come out even and have promoted yourself.
Also song writers who are MAC Members can show off a new song that some member may want for their show. 


The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.
 - General H. Norman Schwarzkopf


I got the inspiration for the title of today's blog from a notification I got from Sara Louise Lazarus. It is regarding an upcoming show.  Here's the scoop on a delightful musical revue she is directing.They did several performances last season, and got some fabulous reviews that prompted their return, including this one from Cabaret Scenes Magazine:
Sara Louise Lazarus’s direction turned Schaechter and Kael’s music and lyrics into a
"Closer Than Ever" for the new millennium—full of musical brio and dizzying honesty.
Saturday, September 16 at 9:30pm and Sunday, September 17 at 4:00pm
The Metropolitan Room, 34 West 22nd Street (between 5th and 6th Aves.)
Click links to reserve:
Sat. 9/16, 9:30pm http://metropolitanroom.com/event.cfm?id=251522&cart
Sun. 9/17, 4:00pm http://metropolitanroom.com/event.cfm?id=251523&cart 

If you are in East Hampton tonight, get thee to The Bay Street Theater for the finale of their summer cabaret series, Music Mondays  with “Stephen Schwartz and Friends” at 8PM tonight. Appearing with Mr. Schwartz will be Liz Calloway, Scott Coulter, and Debbie Gravitte. (READ MORE)
I'm very excited to announce 3 dates for Deborah Stone's brand new show:
All at 7:00, and all at Don't Tell Mama

Tuesday October 24
Wednesday November 15 (I'm getting a group to go this night if you would like to join our party)
Thursday December 14
Reservations are already open for the October show, if you like to plan ahead.
 
Casting and tour dates have been announced for the 2017-18 touring seasons of the Tony, Grammy and Olivier Award-winning hit musical JERSEY BOYS, the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons. (Read MORE)

Frozen the Musical is currently playing in Denver until October, and insider buzz about it is terrific!  It will be at the St. James Theatre in the spring, but I encourage you to see it in Denver to get a head start on the excitement, and to send this to your friends in the area.  They will thank you!!!  And the best part is -- wait for it --
Robert Creighton, who many of you saw as Cagney, is in it, so the excitement just doubled!
And for those of you who do see it on the road, I hereby deputize you to personally deliver my warmest wishes to him personally!




Cellist Pablo Casals stands before the audience after a performance at a dinner in honor of the governor of Puerto Rico on Nov. 13, 1961. (Robert Knudsen/John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum)
Mrs Obama in a burgundy Naeem Khan Gown at the Kennedy Center Honors.
The essence of the Kennedy Center Honors can be seen in a photograph taken Nov. 13, 1961, long before the Kennedy Center existed or the first awards were given, 17 years later. The picture shows Spanish cellist Pablo Casals at the White House, where he performed for President John F. Kennedy and a glittering crowd of political and cultural leaders. For years, Casals had boycotted performing in the United States in protest of the nation’s support for the brutal right-wing Spanish dictator Francisco Franco, but he was heartened by Kennedy’s election campaign and finally accepted an invitation to the White House. It would become a defining moment in the administration’s embrace of both the arts and the image of elegant cosmopolitanism. (Read MORE)

The fact that I don't like what you have to say doesn't mean you don't have the right to say it. The violence that broke out on the Berkeley campus is unacceptable and can only result in more violence. Beating people up because you oppose their point of view is unacceptable. Stifling free speech is outrageous. What is going on at Berkeley is outrageous. I have had some extremely frustrating exchanges on Facebook with Trump supporters. I have bowed out of several conversations because the conversations were in my opinion unproductive. But I have no desire to stifle those that have different points of view than my own. The "snowflake" culture that has taken hold on college campuses is insane. If there is any place on earth where free speech needs to be fostered and protected it's on our college campuses.
Shutting down an individuals right to peacefully protest is off the charts crazy.
-Facebook Post

Re Arpaio pardon: Trump is a Category 10 racist.
-Kate Clinton


All right, folks - the race is on! Sierra Rein has created a crowdfunding platform to collect donations towards the production of her NYC debut solo show. Check it out and let her know what you can do!

Dan Ruth Photo by Kyle Rucker
You may have heard about this show last spring, because everyone was talking about it, and quite a few MAC members attended. Well, it’s BACK!
Dan Ruth got drunk, got crazy, got sober and wrote an award winning show, "A Life Behind Bars" (Winner, Best Autobiographical Show, United Solo™ 2016). Since then, this hilarious and harrowing tour de force has been called "remarkable" by Bistro Awards, "a funny, wet your pants show" by Theater Pizzazz, and “spiked with the darkest humor" by BlogCritics (to mention a few accolades).

Please celebrate its return at one of these performances, “directed gracefully by Tanya Moberly.” -BlogCritics
Tuesday, September 19th at 9:30pm
Wednesday, October 4th at 9:30pm
Saturday, October 28th at 2pm
Monday, November 6th at 9:30pm
There’s a $20 Cover charge and $20 food or drink minimum per person. To purchase tickets, please visit: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pr/968687

Lane Bradbury
In 1959, a young Southern Debutante was cast in what was to become one of the greatest musicals of all time. How Lane Bradbury went from Atlanta High Society to creating the role of Dainty June in the original production of Gypsy (directed by Jerome Robbins and starring Ethel Merman) is told in this musical memoir, which Lane has performed to wildly enthusiastic audiences from the Strasberg Institute in Los Angeles to the intimate 54 Below in New York. After a smashing debut at Don't Tell Mama this past June, she and the show return there for an encore on Sunday, September 24 at 7:00.

Links to reviews:
http://bistroawards.com/lane-bradbury/

http://nitelifeexchange.com/broadway-history-live-lane-bradbury-the-original-dainty-june-of-the-legendary-1959-cast-of-gypsy-broadway-1959-returns-in-a-nyc-cabaret-show-629/
The Prince of Bel Air debuted September 10th, 1990. I cannot wait to celebrate September 10th!
 
The series I launched in May of 2016 is returning for a second season. I'm glad. I am looking forward to seeing many of the people I have grown close to. My career as Carol Channing had to end for something else to begin. As Dee Wallace says it is, truly, the circle of energy in a continuing re-imagining of Itself.  And that is what excites me.
Dee tells us tokeep creating: don't replay. Write some new dialogue, play a new scene, make a different life movie. But keep creating.  Here are TWO favorites of mine that keep creating.
Dear Jim Brochu and the wonderful Anita Gillette at Feinsten's in Manhattan.
Ben Rimalower


Life and death are illusions. We are in a constant state of transformation.
 -Alejandro Gonzalez Innaruti

Church With A 2 Drink Minimum RETURNS Sept. 17, 3pm at Sidewalk Cafe, 94 Ave. A at E. 6th Street in The East Village NYC.

A no cover, 2 drink or food minimum brunch that features original music and message by Rev. Yolanda, Rev. Glen Ganaway, and special musical guests Doreen Younglove and Adam Shapiro.


They are starting off this new season with the theme "The Importance of Being YOU". Now more that ever- we need to shine our LIGHT big and bold and proud. They hope to inspire you this month to Let Go Of Grievances, create healing within yourself, and access the power to express the Divinity of YOU in this world. You'll laugh, and sing, have a drink or too and share some needed love and support with each other.

Here's a link for the blog about a friend of mine, Joe Sopiak and the Times Square Project.

  The secret of change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old but on building the new. - Socrates

I'm throwing back the curtain and showing my followers the little man behind the Wizard who is always trying to put forth a positive image of a man. 

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience!


You have the power to change anything, because you are the one who chooses your thoughts and feels your feelings.


Richard Skipper Celebrates the Best Entertainment has to offer
Here are a Few Testimonials for Richard Skipper Celebrates: Next One September 10th 1PM Laurie Beechman Theater: Reserve HERE:
w/Ann Dawson, Emily McNamara, Ben Rimalower... AND a Beloved Cabaret Mystery Guest


Anyone who has an opportunity to see Richard Skipper's cabaret shows should BY ALL MEANS do so! They're sensational! Great entertainers, wonderful music, lots of laughs, just the best way to spend an afternoon! I just cannot wait for the next show because I will DEFINITELY be in the audience (quietly singing along)!
Arlene Jacks, New York, NY

What a wonderful afternoon at "Richard Skipper Celebrates" at the Laurie Beechman Theatre on June 18th.
Do you remember Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show or WNEW AM from years ago.This show brought me back to those days. Besides being a wonderful entertainer, Richard is an fascinating interviewer. His guests in this show included Sarah Rice and Mark Watson, David Sabella, Warren Schein and special guest Sharon McNight.
It's been such a long time since I have seen such a wonderful show.
Richard has this event as a Sunday Brunch once a month. He is taking the summer off but will return with a blockbuster show on Sunday September 10th. If you are in the New York area please join me to witness talent that is rare seen any more. (September 10th, brunch at the Laurie Beechman Theater on West 42nd Street)
Elaine Marlowe Mitchell, NYC
What a wonderful afternoon! I'd had a very trying morning on
Sunday, and I wasn't in the best of moods when I arrived at Richard Skipper Celebrates Fathers' Day, but within seconds of the show starting, all tension slipped away and I could feel the smile creeping across my face, a smile I kept for days after. 
Doug Devita, playwright  (The Phillie Trilogy)
Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is
 up to ME to lead by example!
With grateful XOXOXs ,


 


Make A Dream Come True! Become a part of the Call On Dolly Project by contributing to Our Go Fund Me Page Today #CallonDolly
https://www.gofundme.com/CallonDolly-FromCaroltoBetteandBeyond (Every person who makes a donation gets an acknowledgment in the book AND entered in a drawing for Channing and Dolly items!)

CallonDolly.com
Please LIKE (if you do!) and SHARE!


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
 

#RightToBearArts  


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!
Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook
Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com












Comments

  1. Always so great to read your words - thank you for adding the link for the blog about Joe Sopiak and the Times Square Project - you're always so supportive and that's very much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment