SYNCOPATION, Spitting In The Face of The Devil,Confessions of a Mormon Boy...and So Much More

Syncopation at Penguin Rep in Stony Point through September 3rd
In music, syncopation involves a variety of rhythms which are in some way unexpected which make part or all of a tune or piece of music off-beat.

Happy End of August, 2017!
Today is August 31st, 2017
August 31 is the 243rd day of the year . There are 122 days remaining until the end of the year.
Things seemed unstable for me this morning, but have been improving quite a bit as the day has gone on. Last night, I got a full amount of rest so you can fully enjoy the day.
I do want to take a moment to acknowledge Texas and Louisiana.My heart goes out to those impacted by the catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Harvey and those still in the path of the storm. Our first concern is with everyone's safety and well-being.
It is hard for me to fathom what is going on. 
Penguin Rep Theatre Presents Syncopation: A Romantic Comedy
It is not just a reality show unfolding. It is real life. May the rest of us never experience anything as horrendous as this and as these states rebuild, may they never experience it again either. Life throws us curve balls that we just can't get around.
Take 100 % Responsibility For Your Life

Being a member of the acting and cabaret community, I am constantly reminded that we are all in this together. As it has been said time and time again, no man is an island.
When a show is being created. It starts in the mind of one individual. Eventually, that individual will reach out to various collaborators to bring it all together and make it become a reality. It's important to stay focused.

Once it is ready to be received, it takes people from all walks of life coming together in a darkened room to see magic unfold on the stage. Today, I am writing about three shows that are recreating real life on stages near and far with the hopes of tapping into the human emotions of those in attendance. Tonight, I'm seeing a new show at one of my favorite theaters, Syncopation at Penguin Rep in Stony Point.
SYNCOPATION
by Allan Knee
Directed by Thomas Caruso
Choreographed by Ryan Kasprzak
A unique romantic comedy by the author of The Man Who Was Peter Pan, a Penguin premiere which was the basis for the film and Broadway musical "Finding Neverland."

In 1911, when New York's Lower East Side teemed with poverty and possibility, an unlikely couple -- a 38-year-old Jewish butcher and a young Italian garment worker -- take dance lessons in a sixth-floor walk up and dream of a better life.

Penguin is happy to welcome back Thomas Caruso, associate director of Broadway's Groundhog Day, who previously staged "Don't Talk to the Actors,Greetings!and "Over the Tavern" in Stony Point.

Now THRU SEPT. 3 ONLY
Thursdays @ 7:30 p.m.
Fridays @ 8 p.m.
Saturdays (2 shows) @ 4 & 8 p.m.
Sunday at 2 p.m.
PENGUIN REP THEATRE

7 Crickettown Road

PO Box 91

STONY POINT, NY 10980
Four EASY WAYS TO ORDER TICKETS

ON-LINE: www.penguinrep.org

By Phone: 845-786-2873
BY FAX: 845-786-3638

BY MAIL: P.O. Box 91, Stony Point, NY 10980-0091
Then there are two very intimate accounts of one's life, Bob Brader's Spitting In The Face of The
Bob Brader's family
Devil
and Steven Fales' Confessions of a Mormon Boy.  


On September 27th, Spitting In The Face Of The Devil by Bob Brader will be playing at Jersey City Theater Center.

Can you imagine discovering that your father is a predator?
In this daring, uplifting and often comedic solo
show, 8-Time Best of Fest Award-Winner and New York monologist Bob Brader tells the gripping, true story of discovering that his abusive and charismatic ex-Marine father is a pedophile.
Hailed by critics as “brilliant”, “masterful” and “unforgettable”, the show toured the U.S. and Canada to tremendous critical acclaim.
An audience favorite, Spitting In The Face Of The Devil is a 7-Time Best of Fest Award-Winning show.
Bob Brader • Writer / Performer
is an award-winning actor, writer and monologist. Spitting In The Face Of The Devil, Bob’s acclaimed solo show, toured all over the US and Canada and won “Best Show of the London Fringe” from The Beat Arts in London, “Fringe Hit” in the Atlantic Fringe, “Pick of the Fringe” at the Victoria Fringe Festival, “Best of the Fringe” at the San Francisco Fringe Festival and “Best Script” and “Best Encore” in the United Solo Theatre Festival, NYC. Spitting In The Face Of The Devil was the featured theatrical event and a crowd favorite, sold-out show in the Inaugural Woodstock Memoir Festival, which was headlined by the McCourt Brothers—Frank, Malachy and Alphie. It was presented in The New York International Fringe Festival, where it was picked up for the Garage Theatre Group’s SoloFest. Most recently, Bob performed and sold out the show as an Encore presentation in the 5th Annual United Solo Theatre Festival.
Photo credit: Daren Scott
Photo credit: Daren Scott
Publicity Shot by Scott Wynn
Bob made his international debut at the London Fringe Festival with his 2nd solo show, Preparation Hex, a hemorrhoid tale and love story, which toured through Canada and played in NYC at the 3rd Annual United Solo Festival. His new monologue, Smoker, had its world premiere at Theatre Row as part of the United Solo, where it won the “Best Autobiographical Show” Award. Other theater credits: Bob headlined the two actor sold-out international touring production of CIRCLE (Most Daring Show, London Fringe). He was in the original cast of We Call Her Benny, in the revival of Sex Ed and performed in the international tour and original five-month NYC run of BITE with JMTC Theatre, for which he is Executive Director. Other New York Theatre credits include Bryan Enk and Matt Gray’s supernatural theatrical serial, Penny Dreadful, at the Brick Theater (Teddy Roosevelt) and numerous DMTheatrics’ productions: Girls School Vampire, Who in the Hell is the Real Live Lorelei Lee? and Antony and Cleopatra (Caesar, OOBR Award). His plays are published on Indie Theater Now. Bob trained with the Stella Adler Conservatory at the Tisch School of the Arts and is a member of SAG-AFTRA, the Dramatists Guild and the United Solo Academy.

Spitting In The Face Of The Devil is a truly AMAZING one-man show. I was bowled over by the way Bob Brader is able to blend a dark, agonizing family history with laugh-out-loud comedy. Bob Brader is the next Spalding Gray; I kid you not!”- Michelle Stevens, PhD., Founder and Executive Director of Post-Traumatic Success, Author of Scared Selfless

Bob Brader
Executive Director
Bob@JMTCTheatre.com
www.bobbrader.com
646.621.8252
Another great solo show is Steven Fales' Confessions Of A Mormon Boy. Hey, Chicago! Tickets are now on sale for Steven's out-of-town workshop of Mormon Boy Trilogy Sept, 7-10. See all three plays on Sun, Sept 10th. http://pridefilmsandplays.com/tickets/

I reached out and asked the following three questions of a few friends:
Describe for me what is going through your head right now as you are preparing for your next event

Did your parents have fears about you going to into this business?

Of the people you have worked with in this business, who has made a lasting impression on you?
Here are the results starting with Bob Brader:


Add caption
Describe for me what is going through your head right now as you are preparing for your next event?
The only thing I am really thinking about is how much I love this piece and how excited I am to get a chance to do it again. We are celebrating Spitting In The Face Of The Devil’s 10th birthday this year and I could not be prouder of the show. It has only gotten stronger over the years thanks to the amazing guidance of my Director and Developer Suzanne Bachner. I am also hoping that I remember all of the lines, this has never been a problem for this show, it is just my worry about every show I am in.

Did your parents have fears about you going to into this business?
My father told me I was terrible and that I should stop performing. He said that even before he ever saw me on stage. My mother, on the other hand, encouraged me every step of the way. She believed in me way before I believed in myself. She would drive me to acting classes and came to see every show I was in. Her thumbs up sign was something I looked for after every show. It was her way of saying that she enjoyed it.

Of the people you have worked with in this business, who has made a lasting impression on you?
I have had the honor of working with some amazing people, all of them have left an impression on me, and I am truly grateful for the opportunities I have had. Being totally honest the person who has had the largest and most lasting impression on me is my partner in life and art, Suzanne Bachner. When you are working with someone you trust, who has respect for you and the work you are putting out, but is not afraid to push you when needed, you have something that is almost impossible to find. Suzanne has developed and directed all three of my solo shows and I have had the
honor of being in many of her productions. Suzanne is a brilliant writer as well as a director. It is a partnership that has helped me grow as an artist. I would not be doing Spitting In The Face Of The Devil at all if it were not for Suzanne. She gave me the courage to move forward with the show. She believes in me, and helps me put the pieces together in life and in art and that is everything to me.

  
STEVEN FALES
Describe for me what is going through your head right now as you are preparing for your next event:

I am in the midst of re-writes for PRODIGAL DAD, Part 3 in MORMON BOY TRILOGY. I am taking some huge, bold risks and hoping that it won't be too much for my audiences next week in Chicago. I'm doing the entire trilogy next week to get it ready for the off-Bway run next year executive produced by Richard Frankel Productions (Hairspray, Angels in America).

Did your parents have fears about you going to into this business? 
My dad was totally against it. My mother was for it only to a point. No one wanted me doing a solo play about Mormonism. If I were in HELLO, DOLLY everyone would be happy. Instead, I have continued to create MORMON BOY which is finally taking off after years of development. My family has finally given up that I will ever go into real estate, law, or medicine like my dad.

Of the people you have worked with in this business, who has made a lasting impression on you? 

I would say that Tony Nominee Jennifer Simard has inspired me the most lately. We were in college together. I also went to school with Will Swenson. 
You never know who you grew up with will make it big. Of the solo artists that inspire me, well, I would say that that there are too many to mention. Anyone who is out there telling their story inspires me no matter what level.
For tickets to Confessions of a Mormon Boy and the rest of Mormon Boy Trilogy (including Prodigal Dad) in Chicago Sept 7-10, go to 

Church With A 2 Drink Minimum RETURNS Sept. 17, 3pm at Sidewalk Cafe, 94 Ave. A at E. 6th Street in The East Village NYC.

Rev. Yolanda
A no cover, 2 drink or food minimum brunch that features original music and message by Rev. Yolanda, Rev. Glen Ganaway, and special musical guests Doreen Younglove and Adam Shapiro. They are starting off this new season with the theme "The Importance of Being YOU". Now more that ever- we need to shine our LIGHT big and bold and proud. They hope to inspire you this month to Let Go Of Grievances, create healing within yourself, and move into the world with the power to express the Divinity of YOU in this world. We'll laugh, and sing, have a drink or too and share some needed love and support with each other. For more info: www.yolanda.net/church
Rev. Yolanda
Describe for me what is going through your head right now as you are preparing for your next event: 
I am seeking guidance from my inner Voice of Wisdom to best determine how to be of service to those who come see me perform. I am less interested in "putting on a show", and more interested in really connecting emotionally with those who come to my events. I believe the music that comes through me as a songwriter has a healing message that is relevant to today's chaos, and I want to be in an authentic place to deliver it.  Did your parents have fears about you going to into this business?
LOL... as a matter of fact they did. They were not happy with my choices. My father was a radio and TV broadcaster who had a lot of friends in the music business and show business in general. Dad di NOT want me to enter that world.
Of the people you have worked with in this business, who has made a lasting impression on
you?
I think I would have to say Kenneth Gartman, my musical director for my 2 MAC award winning shows "Rev. Yolanda's Old Time Gospel Hour" and "Be The Love". Kenneth is the ultimate professional. Talented, always prepared, can handle any situation with grace, and FUNNY!!!!!!!! I love him immensely!


Stacy Sullivan is working on TWO shows! A tribute to Peggy Lee AND a tribute to Cole Porter!

What is going through my head right now?
My head is full of Cole Porter, and that is a wonderful place to be. The Beach Cafe is a fantastic new venue on the Upper East Side and I'm working with Yasuhiko Fukuoka again, so I don't have anything to complain about. The new Peggy Lee show is real thrill. I can't believe I get to work with Lucas Richman. He's an extraordinary musician, Grammy Award winning conductor, and composer and to work with Peggy Lee's original arrangements is a true honor. She only worked with the best arrangers and to touch that music gives me goose-bumps!

Lauren Fox and Stacy Sullivan backstage before a show
Did your parents have fears about you going into show business?
My parents love show business. It's kind of "the family business"!

Of the people you have worked with in this business, who has made a lasting impression on you?
I loved working with Rupert Holmes in the West Coast premiere of The Mystery of Edwin Drood. It was my first starring role in an equity production and he was just so smart and kind. I ran into him in New York recently and he treated me like a long-lost friend. I thought, I hope I treat people like that when I see them. He's the real deal.
Working on getting you some artwork for Peggy's Back. I don't have any for the Cole Porter show. Just a link.  Order tix below for new Cole Porter Show
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-sultry-side-of-cole-tickets-36045690631?ref=ecal

Friends across the globe, tune in tonight at 7:30 and 9:30 as Livestream.com broadcasts " Jazz Goes to the Movies," Ann Hampton Callaway's brand new show at Dizzy's celebrating the golden age of film music! My trio- Ted Rosenthal, Martin Wind and Tim Horner! Make a martini and join the swellegant night! http://livestream.com/jazz/ann-hampton-callaway-wednesday


On September 10th, as most of you know, I am at The Laurie Beechman Theater at 1PM. You can have brunch with us, see a great show (if I do say so myself) and then head down to The Metropolitan Room to catch Sean Harkness at 4PM to see him and his electric band.
For the occasion, they are're turning it up just a bit, and rockin' the house with songs that you know [but would never expect], some original compositions, and some blues. Always blues.

Tickets: 212.206.0440
http://metropolitanroom.com/event.cfm?id=268037
$15 + minimum food/beverage [CHEAP!]
34 West 22nd St., New York, NY 10010
electric guitar: Sean Harkness
organ: Erik Finland
bass: Michael O'Brien
drums: Ray Marchica
Old friends and new, kickin' it up just for you.
Songs by:
Jeff Beal [yeah, that one!]
Supertramp
Willie Wonka
The Zombies
Hoagy Charmichael
and of course, Sean Harkness!



Read about all the players of Hello, Dolly! and their work ethics: Make A Dream Come True! Become a part of the Call On Dolly Project by contributing to Our Go Fund Me Page Today #CallonDolly

https://www.gofundme.com/CallonDolly-FromCaroltoBetteandBeyond (Every person who makes a donation gets an acknowledgment in the book AND entered in a drawing for Channing and Dolly items!)

To be continued...Remember, this is a stream of consciousness blog and I am a work in progress!

Let's Be Friends! I promise you a great experience! 



Life is so much better when you stop caring about what everyone thinks, and start to actually live for yourself!!

 10 Days from Today. Richard Skipper Celebrates September 10th! Check out The Promo: https://youtu.be/T_1RIlzrr2w  

I have had the great pleasure of seeing the show the talented Richard Skipper presents at the
Ben Rimalower joins Richard Skipper Celebrates September 10th!
Laurie Beechman. It was a delightful afternoon with so much talent brought to the stage and especially, Leslie Orofino, on the show that I attended. Richard is not only a very talented performer himself, but his knowledge of the history of the stage world is outstanding. His memories and stories recalled are a gift to us all. His manner and style of interviewing is so wise, warm and professional. I am so overjoyed to see him interview many legends and he embraces them with such care and respect. He is the ultimate showman.
Pamala Hall,Lionhawk Productions Weston, Ct. 


Design by Glen Charlow: Desktop Publishing
Richard Skipper is the consummate host.  I always enjoy the shows and all the performers--and even the little film intros by Michael Masci!  The theme song Michael picked for the Father's Day opening montage is one of my favorite TV themes--how did you know? Keep up the good work Richard--looking forward to your next season of shows!
Glenn Hochberg, Easton, PA
 
Dearest Richard,
Thank you for organizing and producing such an amazing show to open our Rockland County Pride weekend. Everyone was blown away by the talent of all the performers! You truly made the weekend of Pride one to be remembered. Your continued support and affirmation of our LGBT Community and the Rockland County Pride Center is something we are eternally grateful for.
Thank you!!

Diana Wilkins, http://www.rocklandpridecenter.org    

Sit Back! A New News Cycle Is About to Begin!


Thank you, to ALL who are mentioned in this blog for showing me that it is up to ME to lead by example!

With grateful XOXOXs , 
 

Emily McNamara joins Richard Skipper Celebrates September 10th

Please visit CallonDolly.com


NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!  
  

Keeping America great through Art!     


Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!

Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook

Keeping Entertainment LIVE!

 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com




  
  









Comments