Linda Purl, Steve Garrin, Florenz Ziegfeld ...and MORE!

To illustrate what I mean, an apt dancer may be in thorough unison with the others in that particular group, and at the same time reveal a difference in dancing temperament, rhythm or technique; she may phrase, accentuate or actually interpret differently.
-Florenz Ziegfeld

Happy March 21st, 2016!
March 21 is the 81st day of the year. There are 285 days remaining until the end of the year.
In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries.
 It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year. In the 21st century, the equinox usually occurs on March 19 or 20, being on March 21 only in 2003 and 2007. The next year in which the equinox occurs on March 21 is 2102.
I have, at many stages in my life, been somebody who enjoys a good lie in.  However, I realize that by getting up early, I get so much more done! One of the best ways to cultivate a more positive outlook is to acknowledge the ways in which your life is getting better. Read More HERE.
There is so much to celebrate today. In addition
Three Wishes for Jamie starring John Raitt opened on Broadway (1952)
to celebrating three of my favorite people, I also will acknowledge the historical impact of people who were born and transitioned on this day and the impact that they made on the world especially events that happened in the arts and the world stage. As I begin today's blog, I Love The Nightlife from Priscilla, Queen of The Desert is playing on the radio and their is snow on the ground on this first Monday of spring.

It’s Twitter’s 10th birthday. So how do you feel about it now – love it or hate it?
On this date in  1963 – Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes.

Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr. (1867 - 1932), popularly known as "Flo" Ziegfeld, was an American Broadway impresario,  He also produced the musical Show Boat.

Other Notable Birthdays on this date
1906 – John D. Rockefeller III, American philanthropist (d. 1978).

Born on this date, Matthew Broderick, actor (WarGames, Biloxi Blues), born in NYC, New York Are you a Fan?
His father had Irish and English ancestry, and his mother was from a Jewish family (from Germany and Poland).
Happy Birthday to Timothy Dalton.



Russell Albion "Russ" Meyer (March 21, 1922 – September 18, 2004) was an American film director, producer, screenwriter, cinematographer, film editor, actor and photographer. Meyer is known primarily for writing and directing a series of successful sexploitation films that featured campy humor, sly satire and large-breasted women, such as Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

1930 – James Coco, American actor and singer (d. 1987).
 Rosie O'Donnell, American actress, producer, and talk show host

Canterbury Tales opened in London (1968).
It is World Poetry Day.

Notable Transitions on this Date

Remembering Candy Darling; November 24, 1944 - March 21, 1974
In 1985, British actor/author Sir Michael Redgrave, died at age 77.
Also in 1987, actor Robert Preston, succumbed to lung cancer at age 68.
In 1994, Macdonald Carey died on this date in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles.
Actor Dack Rambo, best remembered as Jack Ewing on CBS TV’s Dallas, lost his battle with AIDs at age 52.
Remembering... BOBBY SHORT today. I'M IN LOVE.  We both received our Bistro Awards the same year, 1998.

Linda Purl

Today I celebrate Linda Purl!
Tomorrow night, Linda's returns to New York! I have been a fan of Linda's for as long as I can remember. I last saw her at the now defunct Feinstein's three years ago. At that time, I interviewed her for a full blog feature which you can read HERE.  This time around, she will be appearing at The Metropolitan Room. The show is called Midnight Caravan, which is the name of her CD.

Linda’s recent running roles on television series have been on: Homeland, The Office and True Blood.
She has starred in over 45 made-for-TV movies, and is especially known for her series roles as Charlene Matlock on Matlock and Ashley Pfister, Fonzie’s fiancée, on Happy Days. Purl has starred in numerous plays and musicals on Broadway as well as in regional theatres across America.  Concert venues have included Jazz at Lincoln Center, Feinstein’s, NYC; Naples Philharmonic; Satin Doll, Tokyo, Japan. Princess Grace Theatre, Monaco.  Solo albums are Alone Together, Out of this World—Live and Midnight Caravan.
We caught up again lately for a mini-interview.
With Linda Purl and Desi Arnaz Jr. at Linda's show at Feinstein's
Let's go back a bit. Where are you from and when did the entertainment bug bite you?
I'm a Yankee…born in Greenwich but was raised in Tokyo as my Dad was in business there. I don’t recall a specific moment of being bitten and that’s likely because the arts were always a part of my family’s rhythm. My folks loved to do play readings at home, we frequented the theatre a great deal in Tokyo which had and has a voracious appetite for international theatre. We usually had at least one traveling artist living in the house, you never really knew who you’d meet at breakfast.

When did you get your first professional break? Was it one of those "God, I hope I get it"
moments?
Every time I get a job, I’m grateful. Truly. Every gig feels like a “break.” One more mountain to climb and learn from. My career has been more of a journeyman actor’s career rather than one big break.

Just how much are you willing to pay for a premium ticket to Hamilton?
Hmmm…I’ll let you know once I’ve seen it.  Your question points to a bigger question about the cost of theatre tickets in general.
Its a pity the business model has made it such that the prices need to be as high as they are.  Artists need to have the luxury of failing. Its a necessary part of the learning curve.  At these prices, though who can afford to fail?

Do you remember an occasion when a stranger did something nice for you for no reason at all?
Oh yes…those times when someone let’s you in, in traffic ahead of you. Its a simple act of kindness for kindness sake. Traveling on a plane often times someone will help hoist my bag up top.
I love that.
In the inclement weather I saw a cabbie refuse to drive through the slush, close to the curb. This necessitated the passenger who walked with a crutch, to negotiate the ankle deep yuck in order to reach the sidewalk. In the attempt she fell. Seeing this, about three pedestrians bolted from their path to help her…now wading themselves into the muddied soup.  A chorus of curses rang out from them collectively to the rude cabbie.  It was a glorious moment and the woman was, I hope, comforted by the gallant gents who without a moment’s hesitation came to her rescue.

What do you most want to be true about yourself? 
If I had to boil it down, I suppose to be authentic.  If we are authentic that hopefully means we are also, kind, with integrity, fully realized.

Besides your performance career, what are you passionate
about?
Family.

Anything else you would like me to include?
A pat on the back and thank you to YOU!!

Please join us tomorrow night at The night at The Metropolitan Room. Order tickets HERE.

Today, I also celebrate Steve Garrin who had a birthday yesterday.
Producer. WPAT Radio - Reviewer Music, Theater, Film, Music, Cabaret and Arts. Marketing Consultant.
He was the president of VideoActive... (1991-2010).  (His  new company is Steve Garrin Productions)

I began by asking him what this time in his life means to him.
Since I closed my studios in 2010, and having the privilege and honor of working with Legendary Comedian, Pat Cooper until his retirement in 2015, and the passing of Joe Franklin, (I booked, produced, recorded and edited Joe's radio shows for over 25 years), I am at a time of rebirth in my life. Not "Born Again",  (I was born right the first time), but a period of "reinvention". 
Steve Garrin
Bandleader Vince Giordano (left) and producer Steve Garrin (right)with Joe Franklin
Steve Garrin Pat Cooper book warming Friars Club
I'm doing private voiceover coaching, and working with Rich Herschlag and Pat Cooper, to produce a One Man Show, reading (with a name actor playing Pat Cooper, for a potential Off B'way, or Broadway run)  of our book, "How Dare You Say How Dare Me", planned for this fall.

Name six things you could not live without:
Debbie (my wife), Todd (my son), Liza (my daughter), my talent, Happiness and my career.

What is your unique value proposition?
"If you think you can, or you can't, you're right".

Who gave you your break in the business?
Joe Franklin

What was your most embarrassing moment onstage?
My most embarrassing moment was during a voiceover recording session. I commented to my VO partner (in the booth) "What an ass!@#$ this producer was..." my mic was on, he heard my comment.
I wasn't fired for my thoughtlessness, but I did learn that the vo booth mic is "always on".

Why do you keep doing what you do?
I LOVE doing what I do, because my work is fulfilling to me, entertaining to others (so I've been told), and brings joy to those who experience it.

What do you still want that you don't have now?
I think I have everything I could ever want. I'm a very lucky man.


What do you think it takes to succeed in this business?


You have to "Eat, Sleep, Drink, Feel and Do What You Love"
Become GREAT at what you do.

What Wisdom would you like to offer my readers today?
"Get The Money First" (in other words, make sure you're paid for your work, unless it's for a non-profit or charity).

Do you consider yourself competitive?
Yes, I've been told I'm a "Type A" Personality.


Subscribe to Steve Garrin's YouTube Channel

 In other Entertainment News
TONIGHT IN NYC John Arthur Greene from Broadway's West Side Story and Matilda and American Idol as he joins Marti Cummings III on stage at Therapy NYC for Stage Fright right after RuPaul's Drag Race. Tell them you read about it in my blog!


From giant, multiband concerts to more intimate shows, 2016 sees a full roster of bands performing in New York City. Here are our picks for the best of the best, so you may spend your entertainment dollars wisely. (Read MORE)

THE CARLYLE, A ROSEWOOD HOTEL ANNOUNCES CAFÉ CARLYLE SPRING 2016 SEASON.
Including Venue Debuts by Chita Rivera, Steven Page, Rumer Willis and Katherine Jenkins; and the Highly Anticipated Return of Audience Favorites Megan Hilty, Alexa Ray Joel, Herb Alpert and Lani Hall and Lena Hall.

Tickets for all performances are available for purchase via phone at 212 744-1600 or online via Ticketweb.

The York Theater has a new fund raising project for their renovation - all new seating.  People can "buy" a chair and have a plaque put on it with their name.  Since we have been thinking about something to contribute to that has some meaning, APSS might want to buy a chair as a donation to The York, a theater company that keeps musical theater alive. The cost is $1,000.

Marvelous, mischievous Marilyn Maye will be strutting her stuff at The Palace Theater in Stamford,www.palacestamford.org
CT. (a stone's throw from Manhattan) on Friday, April 15, 7 pm

Thank to ALL of the artists mentioned in this blog for the gifts they have given to the world and continue to give!

With grateful XOXOXs ,

 



 

Check out my site celebrating the legacy of Dolly Gallagher Levi
Leslie Becker as Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly!

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!


Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!    
            
Sarah Vaughn will be celebrated at American Popular Song Society on April 9th at 2PM

Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!

Linda Purl in Ralph Lauren Gown

Please leave a comment and share on Twitter and Facebook



Keeping Entertainment LIVE!
 
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY

Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com

PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US April 7th in NYC


Don't Tell Mama Presents...

Wendy Scherl returns in What Do You Do All Day?  Directed by the incredible Helen Baldasarre with great musical direction by Matthew Martin Ward. Wendy is an amazing vocalist with a rangy and rich sound. “This is someone to watch!” Go see her, you can thank me later.
- Sue Matsuki   In “What Do You Do All Day”, Wendy Scherl shares anecdotes and song about the numerous hats she
wears every single day as a wife, a mother of two boys and two dogs, a short order cook, a daughter, a house manager, a chauffeur and Cabaret Singer!

Her show is both touching and real, theatrical and
funny!
This show WILL sell out! So reserve today and be a part of his star studded audience!
You will truly be amazed by what this full-time executive director of a family of four accomplishes every day!  Wendy will wow you with both her choice of material and her talent!
After graduating from Northwestern University with a BA in Theatre, Wendy performed in numerous
regional theatre productions around the country, including some of her favorite productions: Hair (The official 20th Anniversary Production in Chicago), Grease (numerous roles), Annie (Grace), The Pajama Game (Babe), and Godspell.  $20.00 Cover/Two Drink Minimum Cash Only Reserve at 212-757-0788 (after 4PM or through Richard Skipper Celebrates)

$5.00 OFF COVER OF ALL MAC MEMBERS
Richard Skipper Celebrates is the publicist for Wendy Scherl and What Do You Do All Day? at NYC's Don't Tell Mama. For press reservations, interview requests, or more information, contact Richard Skipper at Richard@RichardSkipper.com or 845-365-0720


 








Comments

  1. Thank you Richard! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Richard!! It's an honor and a privilege to be included in your wonderful blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Linda’s recent running roles on television series have been on: Homeland, The Office and True Blood. "
    ~
    How could you leave out "Reckless", a much better part than any of the three you mention.
    ~
    Speaking of "Happy Days", two comments: 1) Remember, she was RICHIE'S GIRLFRIEND FIRST, in season two; 2) HOPEFULLY, MeTV will start showing Season 10 of Happy Days TOMORROW. That is the season where she plays Ashley. {I say HOPEFULLY because they may not have season 10.}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment