Peggy Herman!

"One of the greatest opening acts alive is Peggy Herman.  She always leaves the audience in a happy mood and loving what they're hearing".
Phyllis Diller

Happy Monday! 
It's Today! 
A day of firsts. 

It is the first Monday of the first week of a new month. Possibilities are all around us. Another first is happening next month. Peggy Herman is making her Feinstein's debut! She will be celebrating Jerry Herman with the release of a new CD. I received an advance and was blown away. Along with Alex Rybeck's fresh new take on these classic songs, trust me when I tell you this...you will be hearing these songs for the first time. I have been a fan of Peggy's for a long time. I've actually done two previous blogs on her.
working with Marilyn Maye
The first was in anticipation of her show last June at The Metropolitan Room, Herman Sings Herman...With A Touch of Merman

I did a follow-up after seeing the show which blew me away! I told her that this show should be recorded for posterity AND that if she decided to record it that I wanted to produce her CD release party. When she told me she was recording, I asked what her CD release date was going to be and went into over drive. 
 I wanted to raise the bar a little. Why not Feinstein's? 
A supper club that epitomizes New York Nightlife and elegance. I think of the parties of Mame Dennis. I called Feinstein's, booked the date, and on May 6th, it all comes together. I hope that all of my readers will be there for a trifecta celebration: Peggy Herman's new cd and Feinstein's Debut, celebrating my favorite composer and lyricist Jerry Herman, AND celebrating MY producing debut at Feinstein's!


 It is a one night only event. We have made it affordable AND everyone gets a complimentary CD. (Contact: Beck Lee/MEDIA BLITZ, LLC (718) 403-0939) am so excited and today, I'm celebrating Peggy Herman!  
 Backing Herman on Herman – and blending a range of popular styles, including folk-pop, smooth jazz, Brazillian and Broadway -- are Rybeck on piano, Jered Egan on bass and Rex Benincasa on drums and percussion. 
The same threesome play on the album, augmented by strings, brass, winds, and guitarist Sean Harkness.

Jerry Herman is not new to Peggy Herman. When she was a teenager, she found herself walking down the steps at the Seville Hotel, Miami Beach, in a red gown with a head dress  on as the guys sang....Hello, Dolly!

She encounterd another Dolly several years later on the SS Norway, Phyllis Diller. Peggy was asked to open for her.   Phyllis told Peggy to never to give up singing, as she didn't  get her start until she was 38.  And they both are still here! 

I asked Peggy what advice she would give to today's youth desiring to pursue a career in the arts.  She says go for it..don't let someone talk you out of your dream, however..finish school with a career that can fund your dreams!
 I asked Peggy how she chooses her material for her shows. She thinks of a show she'd like to put together and then looks up different song books that have the material that would fit in..sings through songs and says no..not that..no not that one..then once and a while she sings something, gets goosebumps and says YES..That one..she also listens to different singers at different shows and says..wow..I could sing that out of the ballpark..so maybe that material will find it's way in to her act..Shes always open to listening to new and exciting songs that move her.
 

Peggy says being asked to open for very well know comics in our industry, meeting and working with Tommy Tune are some of her biggest successes in this industry and now she is thinking her new CD will Open a new Window, Open a new door.........
 
with Marilyn Maye
Peggy calls herself the Queen of Callbacks, but never the call..Her husband, being a psychologist, says he's so happy she's not in one big total depression..She just say.."Maybe next , I'll be lucky..or you can just pick yourself up, brush yourself off and start all over again.. Trust me, I'm not a comic!"

 What one change would you like to see in today’s industry?
 More live venue's  for Cabaret Performer's to Explore but most of all to give an unknown great talent a chance.  I would like people to see the performer's perform before they vote for them for any award, not to vote because they are your friend. There's a lot of great talent out there but they'll never get a chance if things continue so politically and trust me, I'm NOT a political person. (I couldn't agree more!)
Tommy Tune and Peggy
 
Do you consider what you wear on stage for your show a costume? Or is it just clothing to you?
                                         No no no..not just clothing.....It's Definitely a SHOW COSTUME to be worn on stage only!!!
 
Are you happy at the point you are right now in your career?
                I guess I am as I have so much going for me with my new CD getting ready to be released.  Of course you're never completely happy unless your schedule is all booked up and they're waiting for you to go on at The Grammy's!  :-)

Do you feel you have achieved what you set out to do?
Almost all..but, I still have to land a part in a Broadway show and of course buy the jacket to tell the world!!!!!


What do you do to remain positive when life's hiccups get you down?
 Pick up the phone a complain to a close friend!!  Cuddle my dogs and then get back to learning my music!

How on earth do you reach theatregoers now that newspapers are obsolete and there are so many channels on TV you can’t pick the right ones to advertise on and with the web being so hit and miss.
I carry postcards with me everywhere.  If someone sees me and says 'how's the singing going' I say funny you should ask and whip out a post card and hand it to them.  By the time I'm finished speaking with them, they are coming!!
Of course having Richard Skipper and Beck Lee on your side always help!

A genie pops out of the lamp, he grants you three wishes. What are those wishes?
1To stay healthy
 2. That I can keep entertaining people as long as Marilyn Maye has!
 3.  To work in Broadway  show.

How did you get into this business?
 I've been singing since the sixth grade. 
I just that's want I wanted to do.  Be a Singer! It just evolved after auditioning everywhere and kept going.

What is your favorite song? And yes, you can only pick one!!!
 Any Torch ballad..That's for me!
 
What is the last stage show you saw.  Local or professional.
"Anything Goes"  Finally caught it and loved it!   

What do you do to prepare for your performances?
   Study a lot before hand. 
Go over all the songs, try for vocal rest, very difficult for me, and drink hot tea.  Oh yes, use Dr. Kessler's Vapors!

You do an iconic role. Do you think you should keep an iconic costume piece as a memento OR donate it to a museum for others to enjoy?
 I think I'd show it off in a museum but with the stipulation that if I needed to borrow it to wear again, I could! 

 Do you make a living at this or do you have a survival job?
      I'm fortunate that I don't need a survival job, but if I needed one it would definitely have to be a job 
working with lots of people so I can always support my career!

What is the best compliment you have ever received in this business?
                This is difficult..Seeing that I've changed a little since a few years ago it would have to be..ARe you Peggy Herman?? Wow, I didn't recognize you! and I also have to say the best compliment of all is..You were wonderful..I love how you feel the songs you sing.  Thank you Richard and everyone out there reading this!
What are your thoughts on Arts in Education?
 I feel that funding for the arts must be continued in the schools for children to have cultural experiences while growing up.  They need music, dramatics, band etc. in their lives to be a more rounded person.  With everything going digital these days, how will they every experience everything that the arts do if they don't try it personally, or see a Broadway show to know how that feels.  Concert Chorus was the most thrilling class I took in High School.  Miami Beach High School even made it to finals in Daytona Beach. What a thrill that was.  So when you ask the question do I think it's important to keep the arts live??? The answer is most definitely YES!  We need the arts to stay alive inside!
We also need Peggy Herman! Hope you'll celebrate with me LIVE on May 6th!
 
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Beck Lee/MEDIA BLITZ, LLC (718) 403-0939 beckblitz@aol.com

PEGGY HERMAN CELEBRATES THE CD RELEASE OF “HERMAN ON HERMAN” IN ONE-NIGHT-ONLY CONCERT AT FEINSTEIN’S MAY 6

Peggy Herman releases a brand new recording of her critically acclaimed show, “Herman on Herman,” her tribute to Broadway legend Jerry Herman, at Feinstein’s at the Loews Regency, 540 Park Avenue, on Sunday May 6 at 7:30pm.  The one-night-only concert features many of the songs from the show’s premiere in May of last year, plus additional material that was added to the project in the intervening months.

With arrangements by the renowned music director Alex Rybeck, “Herman on Herman (with a Touch of Merman)” gives the Jerry Herman songbook a whole new spin, lending a fresh take on these classic Broadway show tunes.  Backing Herman on Herman – and blending a range of popular styles, including folk-pop, smooth jazz, Brazillian and Broadway -- are Rybeck on piano, Jered Egan on bass and Rex Benincasa on drums and percussion.  The same threesome play on the album, augmented by strings, brass, winds, and guitarist Sean Harkness.

Like the show’s premiere at the Metropolitan Room, the CD release concert is directed by Peter Glebo, and the nine-time Tony Award winner Tommy Tune.  The performer and show business chronicler Richard Skipper co-hosts the event with Feinstein’s, which is offering a special “It’s Today” dinner-and-show package (premium seats $50, general seating $30, plus a $25 food and beverage minimum).  All of the evening’s attendees will receive a complimentary signed copy of the new album.

“Herman on Herman… Peggy Sings Jerry” (the CD’s title) features exciting new arrangements of songs from “Hello Dolly!” “Mame,” “La Cage aux Folles,” “Mack & Mabel,” and other Herman hits.  In the studio, Herman and Rybeck added new songs, including “The Best of Times is Now,” “Before the Parade Passes By,” and “If He Walked Into My Life.”

Born in Philadelphia, and raised in Miami Beach, Herman has appeared in such musicals as “Nunsense” (Mother Superior), “South Pacific” (Bloody Mary) and “Grand Hotel” (Raffaela Ottanio).

Her solo CD debut, "Mercer and More..." (Original Cast Records), was hailed as “a lush album” by John Hoglund in Back Stage, where he added, “she’s got a big voice that serves a big talent.”

Peggy, thank you so much for the gifts you have given and continue to give to the world.
Your devoted fan,
 
NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED.  FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

Please do what YOU can to be more aware that words and actions DO HURT...but they can also heal and help!

                                 
Tomorrow's blog will be..Happy Birthday, Doris Day!


Thank you, to all the mentioned in this blog!







  Here's to an INCREDIBLE tomorrow for ALL...with NO challenges!







  
TILL TOMORROW...HERE'S TO AN ARTS FILLED DAY
Richard Skipper, Richard@RichardSkipper.com
                                
This Blog is dedicated to ALL ARTISTS: Past, present and future and the gifts they give to the world! I WANT YOU TO SUCCEED!

 





Comments

  1. great info richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for letting me know about this show, I'll definitely try to be there. congrats on your producing first.
    Jack Quinn
    Publisher
    Theaterscene.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment